Broken 15" Unibody MBP hinge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anathema, Feb 22, 2009.

1. anathema macrumors newbie

First an introduction: New to this board, so hello everyone!

So the story starts with my cat..I was sitting on the couch and pissing the cat off, so he ran away, but not before bouncing off my screen of my open MBP. It pushed the lid further back than the stops allow it to go. Now it folds back until it is basically parallel to the body of the laptop. Nothing else seems affected except the hinge seems a touch looser than it used to be, and having more trouble holding itself up than it used to. It actually doesn't feel broken inside, nothing shaking around, the hinge doesn't have any slop or play in it, it just goes too far.

I was thinking of swapping it for a new one (I can do this for any reason at futureshop, no questions asked, even user damage) but then I'd have to try to migrate my data over. Not sure how I'd do that without having both laptops in front of me.

I could not tell from the ifixit, but is there just a screw/bolt holding the hinge that I can tighten? (I am experienced in electronics disassembly.) If the hinge were stiffer I'd have no problem with how far the screen goes back. It is even kind of nice in some situations.

Advice?

Thanks all!

2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

Use Time Machine to make a back up and when you get the new mbp you can use the backup to restore everything to how it was on the old machine.

3. kezman macrumors newbie

... use time machine to go back to before you decided to piss the cat off.

4. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I agree. If you can just get a new one with no questions asked, then do a Time Machine backup, then on the new one simply boot off of the OS X disk, cancel out of the installer, then go to utilities and select restore from backup. Took an hour and 23 minutes for me off of a USB2 drive with about 200GB of data. Works great for drive upgrades too. It's like nothing ever happened. Great tool!

5. anathema thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, swapped, restored from time machine backup on the install cd like you mentioned..you're right like nothing happened! The only thing is now it wont recognize my old time machine volume but I have some ideas of things to try for that.

Thanks everyone and time to keep it away from my cat.

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Just one more reason to hate cats. Their of the devil:p Although, my dog did pull my old dell off the table cuz of not having a magsafe of course, but no damage. Stupid cats.................

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

LOL.. P0ЯN3D!

Advice: Don't piss the cat off!! :p