Broken 2006 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manipulator, Sep 1, 2011.

1. manipulator, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

manipulator macrumors newbie

I own a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz from 2006).

I was installing a new right fan when I accidentally broke off one of the pins in the fan connection on the logic board. As expected, when I turn on the machine the fan runs at 6000 RPM, which appears to be the default speed when a fault is detected.

Is there anything I can do other than install a new logic board?

Can I run this with one fan or will it overheat?

[​IMG]

2. Raptura macrumors 6502

Raptura

3. manipulator, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

manipulator thread starter macrumors newbie

You're probably right. I've just really loved this machine (it's my first mac) and it still does everything I need it to do. I'm also low on funds.

4. RayK macrumors 6502

I can't think of anything you could try without possibly breaking it more. It's probably close to time to move on. You could always look for another motherboard, but it's not really worth it. I'd say to look around for newer used macs. There are lots around me in Atlanta and at good prices. I wish you luck din whatever you do!

5. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

but can you control it with smcFanControl or no?

6. manipulator thread starter macrumors newbie

No. The connection on the logic board is definitely broken.

7. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Try taking it in to the Apple store and let them look at it. I think they could quote the cost of fixing it and then you decide you want to fix it or not.

If it still does everything you need it to do, then maybe just try your best to ignore the fans and keep using it! :p

You could also maybe move on then use this pro as a home computer.

8. manipulator thread starter macrumors newbie

Will the computer overheat if I only run one fan?

9. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I would look into getting that repaired. Honestly, you just need a couple of wires soldered into place. The fan will then work perfectly since all the wires will be connected. If you ever needed to replace the fan you'd have to get our your soldering gun again, but its not that big of a deal.

To answer your question about overheating, you'll have to test and see. I suspect for light usage it will be fine as it is. But, if you doing anything that really stressing the system for more than a minute or two it could get pretty hot since the maximum cooling was just reduced by 50%.

10. session101 macrumors regular

if its a female connector on the logic board you have 2 choices...

you can try to find just that piece via 3rd party websites or ebay, you might have to go as far as buying a broken logic board for super cheap just because you only need that connector. and de-solder that piece and re-solder it on your logic board

or you can find a 3rd party dealer of apple repairs that can do exactly what is stated above..no clue on cost

11. iMacC2D, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017