Broken 2007 MBP that Apple should fix for free?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamindien, Apr 20, 2011.

1. adamindien macrumors newbie

Okay. So I REALLY want/need a macbook pro for many reasons. I won't go to in depth about that, but I most don't have the money to buy a macbook right now, so a friend of mine gave me his old broken one because, well, it broke and he got a new one. After researching the issues the macbook pro was having (powering up, blank screen, no chime, still can hear cd drive and fans working) I learned that it is an issue with a recalled GPU that occurred in macbook pros that were manufactured between 2007-2008. But as I read more stories about people getting this fixed, it seems more recently they are just saying its the logic board and not the video card, which is partially right seeing the video card is on the logic board, but they wont fix it because the logic board is broken (which is most likely caused by the video card over heating on top of the logic board -_-). Anyways, as expected, I took my macbook pro to the "genius bar" and the guy ran a test on it and said it was the logic board and didn't really give me much of an explanation. He seemed preoccupied by another customer he was helping at the same time. He then told me they could fix it for $310 but possibly more because the macbook has some physical damage (which I don't understand how that could make the logic board cost more money) or I could call apple and have it sent to them to run more tests.

I really just need advice from people who have gone through this process and what all I need to do get it fixed. I really need a computer soon, and it would be really nice if I could get this thing working, I don't want to have to use anything other than a mac.

2. Sidnicious macrumors newbie

Apple is covering repairs for this issue on specific models of MacBook Pro. See here:

If you've got one of those machines, call Apple, or take the computer back into the store, and ask about the repair program.

3. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

1.) $310 is not a bad price for a new to you MBP but that is besides the point lol

2.) yes and no should they fix it the recall did not happen yesterday so they could say your friend should have had it replaced when the recall occured.
    But at the same time a known defect does deserve repair.

3.) the physical damage will not cause the logic board repair to be more but a repair will cost more if the physical damage corrupted other things. unfortunately they can try and use this against you saying it was the damage which caused this.

Good luck hopefully they repair this for you and you are able to get the machine running without having to pay to fix it.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Hope they fix it, but with that said, when a laptop hits the half decade mark, its reliability is obviously far less and fixing them can become a routine :(

5. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

6. adamindien thread starter macrumors newbie

Just used that method AND IT WORKED. Holy cow. Now is there anyway to get the video card replaced now? Even if it technically still works? Since its recalled?

7. rheistuman, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

rheistuman macrumors newbie

Are you still having video issues? If not, then hopefully you won't have to worry about it. One thing about that Baking Article that wasn't made clear until after repeated bakes (I'm the one who wrote the articles so I know) was the importance of cleaning off the old thermal paste and apply new, quality thermal paste when putting the board back in (see My MBP is Officially Hexed - But There's Hope). Then you can expect to enjoy your refried MBP for a much longer period. Also, if necessary, it will hold up under repeated bakes. Mine's at six.

Even after telling the Apple Store geniuses about all the baking, they still agreed to replace the logic board for the $310--just make a polite and respectful, but consistent stink about it. And $310 is only $60 more than the original Apple Care offered that would be expired by now anyways.

Also, the reason why they may charge more than $310 is that the techs will check built-in sensors for spills and drops that they will then make a judgement call whether problem was caused by mechanical failure or user negligence--which will result in a higher repair bill. They will notify you before they commit to the repairs though--you've just lost all the time it took to ship, look at and then ship back. My experience is that contrary to most companies, Apple looks for ways to be as generous as possible in their dealings with their customers. Just make sure you keep a respectful attitude and they really will go the extra mile for you. They know that's what builds the Apple brand reputation.

Glad to hear another success story!

Forgot to mention: As for getting the video card (its technically not a card but a chip soldered on the board--which is why the whole logic board gets replaced) being recalled, Apple will only replace it if it produces a specific error code associated with the Nvidia issue. Feel free to take the unit in for Apple to test, but if the system isn't showing any other symptoms of the issue (boots but no video or distorted video), the likelihood of it producing the error and falling under the Nvidia replacement policy is slim. Believe me, I've tried on several occasions and every time my system passed. You could make a really big stink, but they will probably look more sympathetically if you were the original purchaser. $310 is a pretty good deal if that is what they are offering.

8. adamindien thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much for the help, is there any way I can try to get the error code out my self at home? The apple store is pretty far away and I'd rather not waste my gas going over there.

9. neudof macrumors newbie

I just picked up a used Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz 2007 model about three weeks ago. It was working fine and then the no video issue happened.

1 - I printed this article - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

2- I also looked up my serial number and printed that too to prove my Mac was not more than 4years old - http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

3 - I took it into the Apple store and showed them that I found the article on Apple.com that says that this issue is covered for 4 years from the origional purchase date.

They agreed to fix my Macbook Pro for free, and I was told that the repair would be complete in 3-5 days! :)

10. adamindien thread starter macrumors newbie

And how did that go exactly? did they run any tests or anything?

My thing is, I just don't want to have to bake my logic board every month. And I don't have the money for a new macbook pro, plus I like the industrial look of the older ones. And I'm worried that if I send it out to service they are just going to say it costs more because of a there is some physical damage to the casing. I'm not sure what to do -_-

Maybe they could work with me since it is obviously a logic board problem caused by the video chip? Anyone else who's experienced this process have any advice?

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Dude, set up an appointment, get in you $&#! car and go find out. Apple may or may not repair it for free, if they do, be happy, if they don't, buckle up and pay for the repair.

Apple is under no--repeat NO--legal obligation to repair your machine. Be nice, follow neudof's suggestions, and just go do it.

12. itsnogood macrumors newbie

Hi guys, this is what's going on with my 2008 MBP. Last week the screen went suddenly black after I tried to "wake up" my laptop from its sleep mode.
    I immediately brought it to an iSpot and a guy offered to check what was wrong. I paid 10 zloty (I live in Cracow, Poland) just to be told that he had no clue of what was wrong and that I had to go to a repair center that he indicated. I went there and after paying another 90 zloty I was told that the graphic card was broken and I could get it replaced for free if I shipped it to another repair center in Warsaw.
    I did that and, surprisingly, today I've received a mail from them saying that actually the logic board is broken and all they can do is replace it for 2.340 Zloty (about 600 euros). No other explanation given.
    Now I don't know who to trust anymore and I feel like I'm being ripped off. What would you suggest to do?