Broken 2g iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shoops, Aug 15, 2011.

1. shoops macrumors newbie

Hi

3 years ago my son bought me a 2g iPhone. He was only 17 so it was an incredible gift and i dont want to lose it or upgrade. However, recently it started freezing in the middle of writing texts or when i slid the lock/unlock bar. Then on Saturday it wouldn't charge or connect to the computer.

It's jail broken (or whatever the term is for what you do to make it work with a network other than O2) and i suspect that could be relevant to the problem. As i've said i couldn't connect to the computer to restore it in iTunes so i resorted to going into settings to "Erase all content and settings" I was hoping the problem would be deleted as well and i would be able to sync it with the computer and iTunes again. It wont.

It's stuck in recovery mode now (i think thats the term) The apple logo is on a black screen and it seems to reboot every few minutes. I can get the screen up that has the USB plug with an arrow pointing upwards to a cd with a musical note on it, but the computer still wont recognise it when i plug it in. Am i done for? Any help greatly appreciated.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

When you erased all content and settings, that wiped out the OS also.

What you have to do is connect it to iTunes, and then restore through there.

If you had not sync'd with iTunes beforehand, all of your data will be lost.

3. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

4. shoops thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i'm not concerned about the data, im happy to start from scratch including reinstalling the OS, but i cant do that because it isnt connecting to the computer at all.

Thanks, shoops

----------

Good condition. Ive used more than one cord and more than one computer to be sure. Plus my sons iPhone 4 connects normally using the same computers and cables

Thanks, Shoops