Broken 333MHz iMac G3..... UPDATE: FIXED!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AlphaDogg, Aug 2, 2010.

1. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I just received a 333mhz Grape iMac G3 for free. It is in nearly perfect condition. However, when I hit the power button, I hear the startup chime and the button just stays orange, with nothing on the screen. Please help!

2. MacinDan macrumors regular

My mom's Bondi Blue iMac did the same thing. The MacWarehouse people or whoever it was at the time said it was the logic board. I bought a logic board on eBay, and it turns out it was the video board. That's the last time I listened to a store techie. At least I sold back the logic board for the same price I paid for.

Getting at the video board in those macs is a major chore even if you have the replacement part.

3. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

did someone boot an osx disc on it without doing a firmware update, i did that once, bad bad thing to do it only displayed purple, have a look at the screen really close when you turn it on, can you see the boot image

4. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

nothing at all... it appears as if the CRT is not getting power

and, no it has only run its original os+free updates. the original owner is my friend's grandmother, and being a grandmother, she knows almost nothing about computers.

5. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Dead inverter board, happens quite a bit with the CRT iMacs, try plugging it into an external monitor.

6. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

dude these are like $20-40 on craigslist so imo you'd be better off selling it as is, parting or giving it away and just buy one that works from craigslist for next to nothing

i still have a g3 imac and its just not worth the hassle to bugger around with them when they are selling for dirt prices on craigslist

thats just my opinion

7. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

it doesn't have an external video port. I cannot open it up (to access the internal video port), because there is a screw on the bottom that appears to be glued in, and is stripped...

8. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

9. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

can you see the glue, there is 2 things you could try, you could try grabbing the head of the screw with a pair of pliers and see if you can pull it out or you could use a dremel or hacksaw blade to cut a slot in the top of the screw and then use a flat blade screwdriver to unscrew it

10. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I don't have access to a dremel right now, so I will try the first method that you suggested. At my school, they have a few dremels that I would be able to borrow, but it is still summer right now.

11. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The trick with the pliers did not work. I will ask my friends who are "handy" and see if they can get the screw out.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd just sell it for parts and get another one off eBay for $50. Its not really worth fixing...

13. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I had a crazy thought... My school used to have about 20 of these iMacs as student computers. They have since upgraded to eMacs, and now aluminum iMacs. Usually, they hang on to some of their stuff. I was thinking that maybe, they would be ok with the idea of "donating" an old iMac to me, as they have already completely migrated to Intel.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd be suprised if they haven't already sold em' off for $30. If not, you could get one for 20 or 30 dollars :D

15. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

depends what your school is like, my current school wouldn't, but my previous school probably would have but for a small fee

16. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Well, I am on good terms with the tech admin at my school.

If they ever did sell them, they would've sold them in around 2002-03, when they were still worth somewhat of a lot.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

True. God knows why they didn't :rolleyes: So anyway, they're probably sitting in an unused classroom or something now :D

18. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Update: I have just gone and picked up a 333MHz tray loading bondi blue iMac. I purchased it for $15 on craigslist. It is not in very good aesthetic condition (paint drippings on the casing, missing tray cover, etc...), so once I get the grape iMac open, I will swap the casing. Btw, the bondi blue iMac has a 333MHz G3 proc, 512mb RAM, 40GB HDD, and 10.3.9.

Edit: just realized I forgot to say that it works...

19. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Nah, they may have donated them... I was just hoping that the tech admin would have a couple of them in his computer storage room. It is a pretty cool room, if you ask me. It is also his office. There are shelves on the walls with old PowerMacs on them along with many other kinds of computers. My school's 2 xserves are also stored on a rack there. It is not a very quiet room, if you ask me...

The students had try loaders. The teachers had slot loaders. Then, the students got eMacs. The students now have aluminum iMacs, and the slot-loading iMac's that the teachers had were replaced with the students' old eMacs... I was actually interested in getting a slot-loading iMac, because those were the most recent PPC iMacs that they had there. Maybe I could even score a couple eMacs... :rolleyes:

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

There's 10-20 of them sitting in an unused classroom collecting dust at my old school :( Wonder if they'd let me "take them of their hands"? ;)

21. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That is just a waste of perfectly good apple products. Go over there and ask if you can have one. Offer to give them no more that $10 for one of them..

Edit: was that sarcasm in your post?

22. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Update: I got a screw extractor today. I removed the stripped screw. I removed the bottom panel, and to my dismay, the video cable was disconnected. I didn't bother to do anything other than reconnect the video cable and to make sure that all of the other cables were okay. I closed it up, and to my amazement, it booted!!!! :eek: I am so happy. I now have two working iMac G3's; one Grape model and one Bondi Blue model. Same specs on both of them, other than that the Bondi Blue one has 512MB of ram and a 40GB HDD, versus the Grape with 160MB of ram and a 6GB HDD.

23. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Put the big hard drive (or a 160GB drive from newegg for $44) and the RAM into the grape one.

24. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Why? I have cleaned the exterior of the Bondi Blue iMac with some paint remover. It is made by a company called Goo Gone. The Bondi Blue iMac is in nearly perfect condition now, aside from the fact that it now has a purple drive cover :cool:...

25. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The Grape iMac has some case damage... See the attached pics.
    In the first attached picture, you can see both of the iMacs sitting next to eachother. In the second one, you can see the mismatched drive cover. And finally, in the third one, you can see the case damage on the iMac. That cover isn't supposed to come off like that...

Attached Files: