Broken 5S home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KAB2010, Feb 17, 2015.

1. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

Woke up with a dead phone. Turns out it was my third party battery that needed to be unplugged and plugged back in with the small connector piece.

During this process I pulled the home button cable a bit on the part that connects to the display side. Half of it kind of pried up but the vital part seemed to be okay. Used electrical tape to put it back down flat to no avail. The piece that clicks into the bottom (interal) of the phone seems to be just fine.

I thought this little cable only controls Touch ID? Why would my entire home button stop functioning? The iPhone 5 didn't require this cable to just use the home button.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sorry to tell you this, but your screwed. The TouchID is paired with the Secure Enclave at manufacture time with a one time key. You break the TouchID, you need a new A7, the parts are one in the same as far as software is concerned.

You need to buy a new phone.

3. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not too worried about Touch ID. I'm just wondering why my actual home button isn't working. The old school, manual function that the iPhone 5 could do with no cable at all.

----------

I seem to have lost the metal guard that covers the connector on the bottom side. Does this matter?