Broken Airport Express base station, What Can I do?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by auadvisor, Oct 19, 2010.

1. auadvisor macrumors newbie

I have had my Airport Express Base Station for almost 4 years and last week it just stopped working. No Green/Orange LED, no network, not able to reset, dead as a doornail. It broke before I could reset or reformat it. Now I have no wifi at the house and I decided to sell the unit on Ebay. I have had an overwelhming response to my broken unit and am a little concerned. Do they know something I don't?

Since I did not get to reformat it, I am selling a unit that is still as is. Does this have data on it that can be hacked or should my home Macbook be at risk? I have deleted my home network from my Airport Utility on my Macbook, but not sure what else I can do. I really would like to make some money off it, but not if I am at risk of someone using data stored on the device I cannot wipe off because it is broken. I know my network would still be stored on it and network password.

Any suggestions.

2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Question: did you try the reset button on the device? There is a tiny button on the bottom that can be pressed with the end of a paperclip or ball point pen. Check Apple's website for reset instructions.

I wouldn't worry about any data left on when you sell it, other than be sure to change the password you use on your existing devices if they're the same.

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I had the same thing happen to me. Tried resetting, but nothing seemed to work. I ended up purchasing a refurbished one from Apple.