Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Random14

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
I bought the Apple battery recharger set some time ago, the one that comes with six batteries. Now when I put in two batteries I get the blinking red light (or amber might be the apple term for it), so I think that means they're broken (I made sure they were in the right position, right contacts). At least the other four batteries still seem to be working fine.

Just asking if Apple will take those broken batteries? Not to fix/replace them, they're probably out of warranty by now, but just curious if an Apple store would take them for recycling/disposal (say if I made a Genius Bar appointment). Either that or I try to find my local e-recycler, but they're usually not conveniently nearby, so an Apple store would be much easier.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
It's most unlikely the batteries are "broken"!

Have you cleaned the contacts (both charge and batteries)? Are they inserted correctly in the charger? It's a good idea to rotate them with your thumb once they are inserted to ensure they are fully seated in the charger.

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
Best Buy, Home Depot, etc usually have battery disposal bins. You can try the Apple Store but you certainly don't need to make a Genius Bar appointment just to dispose of batteries.

BTW, Applecare warranties often cover accessories and peripherals purchased within a certain time of the covered Mac. You might be able to get a replacement set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.