Broken Apple Watch Series 4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Kurri, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Kurri, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018

Kurri macrumors 6502

so my sisters husband dropped his watch literally 2 days after purchase. Did he buy the apple care.........NO :) Anyways, anyone know of a cheaper place to send the watch to get fixed? the front is shattered (glass) pretty bad. any ideas?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Not saying this is ethical or could work but can’t you buy Apple care after purchase ? I did and they just did a diagnostic and was fine. Not sure if it could detect a broken screen.

3. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

Yup Apple care. Doubt they could know if screen broken

4. CreepyAF macrumors regular

CreepyAF

you have a wife that has a husband?

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Don’t do that. Use Apple for any Repair related services. Third party repair doesn’t have the training Apple Does and they may use inferior parts, which could be problematic. If you decide to make the repair, allow Apple to do it, even if its more expensive.

6. Bosechris macrumors member

Bosechris

7. Kurri thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha not my wife’s husband. My sisters husband. I was in the phone with my wife while typing.

So they told me they tried to buy Apple care after he dropped it and the Apple worker told them they had to assess the watch since he was purchasing the warranty after. They wanted him to bring in the watch in order to purchase Apple care. I think he might be screwed. I’ll ask to send a picture and will try to post.

8. Zenga13 macrumors member

Zenga13

Normally you can get apple care online within 60 days after purchase. You only have to run diagnostics on yoiur watch. I did it with mine, no need to bring it in

9. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

If he used a credit card to purchase the Apple Watch, most CC's provide damage and theft protection for up to 120 days following purchase.

10. cwanja macrumors 6502a

I would probably go this route.

11. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Not accidental damage. The few cards that do that are the pricy ones like the Amex platinum charge card

12. ericg301 macrumors 65816

So your brother in law?

13. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Both Credit Cards I primarily use (Costco Citi Visa Signature and American Express Preferred Cash) for electronic purchases cover accidental damage. "If an item is purchased with your Citi card and/or your Costco credit card reward certificate and is damaged or stolen within 120 days". and Amex: "When an American Express Card Member charges a covered purchase with their Card account, Purchase Protection can help protect your purchases for up to 120 days* from the date of purchase if it is stolen or accidentally damaged. The coverage is limited up to $1,000 per occurrence, up to $50,000 per Card Member account per calendar year."

The Amex Platinum coverage limit goes up to $10,000 per occurrence.

14. OBirder macrumors 6502

OBirder

To me the conclusion is fairly simply. The owner decided not to pay for Apple Care. They dropped it. That is unfortunate, I understand, but it shouldn't be used to get Apple Care after the fact.
    If the credit card or other insurance covers it then fine. If not, own the responsibility and move on.

15. RodThePlod, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018

RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Your brother-in-law should also check his bank account to see if he has any insurance 'bolt-ons'. Not sure where you're based, but here in the UK many banks provide add-ons to their current accounts that include travel insurance, gadget insurance, etc.

For example, I'm with Barclays Bank and i pay around £12 per month for their gadget insurance pack which covers my Apple Watch, iPhone X, and iPad Pro for accidental damage, etc. If I break the screen, I pay an excess (deductible) fee of around £75 for a replacement. For me, it's cheaper than paying for Apple Care individually for each product.

Some people pay for these add-ons/bolt-ons without even realizing they have it.

Link to Barclays plan for anyone interested: https://www.barclays.co.uk/insurance/gadget-and-mobile-phone-insurance/

16. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Dstopsie

Call Apple online. I add AppleCare all the time like that and they never run a diagnostic. Just want the serial number for it

17. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

It’s a tiny computer jammed with sensors (gyro, accelerometer, ambient light, touch, microphone) connected to the internet.

I’d be surprised if within seconds of it hitting the ground it hadn’t logged the event.

I’d be even more surprised if Apple’s remote diagnostics didn’t check the logs for such an event.

18. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

I'd be surprised if you wouldn't be surprised then.

19. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

No surprises for you then. :p

20. Knight3 Suspended

The damage protection and other benefits are provided by Visa or MasterCard rather than the Bank providing the cards. And most basic cards offer the damage protection with the expensive ones providing extra benefits. Do read the T&C of the respective providers like Visa/MC.