BROKEN BACK GLASS ON iPhone 4!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kaibex, Dec 4, 2011.

1. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

I heard that Apple replace this free of charge first time round. Anyone had this done for free by Apple?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Not always, since they have AppleCare+ now. They may, or they may not.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They are not required to replace any physical damage for free. That said, I am sure this sort of thing isn't unheard of. My fiance ran my iPhone 4 through the wash less than 12 hours after I got it on launch day. They replaced it for me for $100, half of what their policy says they will do it for. Not bad, if you ask me. If they want a ton for it, they are pretty easy to remove yourself, and they sell backplates on ebay for about $30.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

Sometimes they will replace it for free if it's the first time. But it really depends on the employee that you talk to.

They *do* make cases for a reason, though.

5. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

What might that reason be then smart ass?!?!

6. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

If I was Apple, I wouldn't replace an iPhone that somebody had smashed, no matter what time or how new it was.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So you can show off your love for hello kitty, angry birds, or about a million other trandy characters. :p

8. Tearabite macrumors regular

Tearabite

Perfect excuse to get one of those see thru back covers! Cheap and easy to install from what I've read.

9. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Apple only did that early on to avoid bad publicity for designing an all glass phone.

10. PaulyD macrumors 6502

I would just get a replacement back cover and do it myself

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

Easier to take it to the Apple store. I had this done for free a week out of warranty.

12. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Indeed but being only the back cover its not as important as the front IMHO.

As they typically give one replacement as a courtesy if he drops his next one and smashes the front he will be paying for full replacement cost.

Ideally the solution is to not be clumsy and smash both though..

13. jmthigpen macrumors regular

They will either replace the back glass for free or charge you the normal $29 (which is what they have always charged for a back panel replacement)

14. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

This.

I had one replaced - at a cost of £25 and 5 minutes of my time. Much less hassle that Ebay.

Tiptopp

15. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

Hahahaha, did you go for the hello kitty? I might shell out for a pink encrusted barbie one! :p

----------

It's not a big deal as I can get the phone replaced for £15, but free is better! :D

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

When you own the most valuable company in America, you can do what you see fit. As of now, Apple's policy seems fair.

17. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I've had a very short (one week today) firsthand experience with Apple though I use my wife's work-issued macbook pro frequently. From what I can say, they've been nothing but extraordinary in terms of customer service. Honestly, as my recent rant in another thread points out... that's one of the reasons I went with an iPhone over another Android. I like when a manufacturer actually cares about their customers and backs their products.

18. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Didn't realise they would just replace the back cover that cheaply!

I would go to Apple then and get the replacement from them rather than do it myself

Thanks for correcting and letting me know that :)

19. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

If cases are absolutely necessary for not destroying the phone, then the phone should ship with a case.

There is a reason that calculators, wallets, portable game devices and other items that routinely go into a pocket are NOT made out of glass.

Glass is brittle.

It is yet another engineering fail by apple with the iphone 4 (remember the antenna?).... and it makes no sense to blame the customer.