Broken Buyer's Guide

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by indiecraig, Apr 25, 2009.

1. indiecraig macrumors member

The Buyer's Guide currently shows the Macbook and Macbook Pro as "Neutral - Mid product cycle", but they are within a week of their average update time. Surely they should be "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle"?

2. Psychmike macrumors regular

Apple usually only makes major project releases at big events. The upcoming developers conference usually features iPhone developments. If any laptop updates are made, they are likely only to be minor processor speed upgrades.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'd expect any revision, even a minor processor bump, to come out in the fall after the back to school event clears the prior systems out of their supply channels.

Apple clears out older mac and ipod stock to the students, and then come out with new models in the fall in time for the holiday shopping season.

4. indiecraig thread starter macrumors member

The buyers guide has never before been influenced by rumors or personal opinions. It has always been based on the average update cycle and at the moment the Macbook and Macbook Pro are nearing the end of their update cycles. The Macbook has now actually reached it's average, so should soon be changing to "Don't Buy - Updates soon". This is how the buyers guide works.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

if you think it needs a change then email the site admin. Why start a thread?

clyde2801 already explained and I think it's spot on.

By the way, this is what the buyer's guide says, "Disclaimer: This page is based on rumors and speculation and we provide no guarantee to its accuracy. We take no responsibility for purchase decisions made based on this information."

no idea where you got the it's never been influenced by rumors bit before. This is macrumors after all :p

6. indiecraig thread starter macrumors member

I couldn't find an email address on the Buyers' Guide page, so I started a thread hoping somebody who can fix it would see it.

My point was that the guide says that the Macbook and Macbook Pro are mid product cycle, when they are clearly at the end of their cycles. There is no disputing that. It's a fact that is not influenced by rumors. You just have to look at the numbers. Regardless, current rumors point to an update at WWDC, just 6 weeks away.

Also, since the release of the Macbook Apple has updated it twice a year, once around February to May and once around October to November. Clydes' expectation that any update, however minor, would not be until the fall would completely buck that trend.

Anyway I didn't start this thread to start an argument, I just don't want people making buying decisions on false information. I guess I should find that email address.