Broken. Can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TSBilovemusic, Aug 13, 2009.

1. TSBilovemusic macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2009
    I recently lent my iPod touch 8gig (first gen) to a friend of mine for the day. When i got it back from him the screen was pretty much shattered. He had set it down on a ledge and a passerby had bumped into it and knocked it over (supposedly) :( The iPod touch is still fully functional and everything, but unusable (unless you enjoy glass shards in your index finger :rolleyes:) Is this covered by warranty? can i get this fixed? if it's not covered by warranty how much would it cost to get it repaired? Thanks.
  2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Oct 9, 2008
    This would definitely not be considered an in-warranty repair. Based on this you're looking at a $149 OOW repair. Time to rough up this "friend" who can't take good care of your property and collect the repair fee, or wait for a 3rd gen to come out which will have a faster processor and, based on the floating rumors, more than a few perks which will leave your first gen in the dust.
  3. jmann macrumors 604

Dec 8, 2007
    bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    a. Don't let people borrow your stuff.
    b. Make your friend cough up the dough for a new one, repairing it would be a big hassle IMO.
    c. Get new friend. *sarcasm*
  4. TSBilovemusic thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2009

A. Never again.
    B. Rather not create a big scene just to make him replace it. (he initially said he'd pay for another but it never happened ofcourse) I'm not one for confrontation.
    C. known him too long, still a good friend.
  5. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2009
    I love these threads... "Is it covered by warranty?"

No, Friend/Ass-hat induced damaged is not covered by any kind of warranty.

Not even if it was an accident.

I despair. I really do.
  6. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

Oct 20, 2008
    I repaired a cracked screen on my 2G Touch quite cheaply with parts sourced from ebay and it was pretty straight forward.

You would need a new screen with digitizer $14.50.

Screen Bezel $9.95

You should be able to reuse your original home button components.

There is a great 2 part YouTube video on how to dismantle a 1G Touch Here and Here