Broken Charge/Sync point?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRyann, Oct 23, 2011.

1. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

Hey All, Haven't posted in a long time so I'm back with a bang haha!

Since I upgraded to iOS5, my charge port has ceased to work. I get the 'Charging is not supported with this accessory' anytime I plug in my cord, from anywhere between 30 seconds after plugging in, and an hour. I have three different Apple USB cords and an external wall charger and none seem to work. I get intermittent service with the external wall charger, enough to charge the phone to about 70%.

I took it to Apple and made an appt with the Genius Bar. After waiting 15 minuets to be seen a small lady came out to tell me that the device was probably water damaged and causing the connection points to rot. She then violently scrubbed the inside of the port with a wire brush, removing the debris from inside. I was told to bring in my cords and they would replace them happily. The phone charged for a while in the Apple store, however will not charge at home with the new leads.

Any suggestions/advice other than going back to the Apple store would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You've noted using different cords and cleaning the port, but said nothing of the wall charger. If everything else has been messed with and it still isn't working then that's most likely your culprit.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

If you have debris in the connector port and it looks like it has been water damaged the genius is probably right. Get it replaced for 200 or maybe it's upgrade time. :)

4. iRyann thread starter macrumors regular

iRyann

I forgot to mention that the wall charger is the only source to actually charge it for longer than 5 minuets.