Broken Click wheel button - have a question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TraceyS/FL, Nov 26, 2008.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I own a 30gb Video iPod

I found this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=370341&highlight=click+wheel+button

Which has the info....
    I have yet to take mine apart - it works maybe once after trying for 10 minutes. It has been a "slow death" kind of thing - like yesterday, it quit in the middle of a game. I had a screen protector thing on it so until i took that off in the car i didn't realize it had become recessed.

Sooo, before i spend money i don't have to spend (Christmas, Homeowners Ins, Taxes... the joys of being a grown up 'eh?), is there any chance is NOT just something like above?

Looking at the diagrams on ifixit it looks like it could be the button on the logic board? If so, i'm not putting $99 into my old iPod. I won't get a chance to try taking it apart until tomorrow - provided i can do it without the iPod opening tool. I"ve never met anything i can't get apart though.

So are the odds with me that it's just the rubber thing slipped? Or am i doomed?

Thanks for an input.

2. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

In the process of putting it back together - but that was the problem.

Here is hoping that it works after i get it back together - i had a slight oops.

Oops. :eek:

3. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

That was indeed the problem!!!

AND, it works after it's back together - despite i'm 99% sure i broke the dohicky that holds the hard-drive ribbon cable on. Oops!

4. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

And it's sinking again.....

Darn it, and i'm betting the HD clip is going to be a problem taking it apart again too.

5. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

As an update.... yes, it was a probelm. It came off completely - then while attempting to get it back on.... it snapped in two.

First attempt to put it back together to see what happened netted a "sad iPod" face. Second time, the cable appears to be staying in and it's working.

Guess i'm saving up for a replacement.... sigh....

6. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

just buy the new parts

http://www.ifixit.com

7. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

I would love to - but it appears to be a part of the drive, which is $99.

The black thing they are lifting up in this picture - the clamp for the ribbon cable. It's not on there and now broken in 2 pieces as i tried to get it put back in there.

[​IMG]

8. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

so buy the drive its cheaper than a new iPod

9. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

I"d rather buy the refurb 80gb Classic for $169. More space, new battery, better battery life for video vs sinking $99 into a 3 year old unit.

Neither option can happen financially until next summer though - unless Santa brings it. He's missed my memos the past year - so i won't hold my breathe on that end of things.

10. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

sux well u could try some tape or something

11. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

OK, BTT this because the button has again quit working.

The kids played Peggle for about 10 minutes and it was toast. It hasn't sunk as much as before, but takes about 10 pushes to get it to register.

I'm pretty sure the hard drive cable can't take being taken apart again - BUT, i'm willing to try if someone might have another idea of what i can do to get the rubber button to stick.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any suggestions?

I wish it was in the budget to replace - maybe Santa will come thru for me 'eh? :rolleyes:

12. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

that santa part may not work out for ya