Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I own a 30gb Video iPod

I found this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/370341/

Which has the info....
Anyhow I got mad and took it apart. It seems there is a little rubber pad that is held on with adhesive. This pad goes between the outside button and the electronic switch on the circuit board. This rubber pad had slid out from the middle where it belongs and off to the side. I moved it back to where it was supposed to be and it is now back to normal and working fine.

I have yet to take mine apart - it works maybe once after trying for 10 minutes. It has been a "slow death" kind of thing - like yesterday, it quit in the middle of a game. I had a screen protector thing on it so until i took that off in the car i didn't realize it had become recessed.

Sooo, before i spend money i don't have to spend (Christmas, Homeowners Ins, Taxes... the joys of being a grown up 'eh?), is there any chance is NOT just something like above?

Looking at the diagrams on ifixit it looks like it could be the button on the logic board? If so, i'm not putting $99 into my old iPod. I won't get a chance to try taking it apart until tomorrow - provided i can do it without the iPod opening tool. I"ve never met anything i can't get apart though.

So are the odds with me that it's just the rubber thing slipped? Or am i doomed?

Thanks for an input.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
In the process of putting it back together - but that was the problem.

Here is hoping that it works after i get it back together - i had a slight oops.

Oops. :eek:

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
That was indeed the problem!!!

AND, it works after it's back together - despite i'm 99% sure i broke the dohicky that holds the hard-drive ribbon cable on. Oops!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
As an update.... yes, it was a probelm. It came off completely - then while attempting to get it back on.... it snapped in two.

First attempt to put it back together to see what happened netted a "sad iPod" face. Second time, the cable appears to be staying in and it's working.

Guess i'm saving up for a replacement.... sigh....

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
As an update.... yes, it was a probelm. It came off completely - then while attempting to get it back on.... it snapped in two.

First attempt to put it back together to see what happened netted a "sad iPod" face. Second time, the cable appears to be staying in and it's working.

Guess i'm saving up for a replacement.... sigh....

just buy the new parts

http://www.ifixit.com

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
just buy the new parts

http://www.ifixit.com

I would love to - but it appears to be a part of the drive, which is $99.

The black thing they are lifting up in this picture - the clamp for the ribbon cable. It's not on there and now broken in 2 pieces as i tried to get it put back in there.

Picture1.png

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I would love to - but it appears to be a part of the drive, which is $99.

The black thing they are lifting up in this picture - the clamp for the ribbon cable. It's not on there and now broken in 2 pieces as i tried to get it put back in there.

Picture1.png

so buy the drive its cheaper than a new iPod

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
so buy the drive its cheaper than a new iPod

I"d rather buy the refurb 80gb Classic for $169. More space, new battery, better battery life for video vs sinking $99 into a 3 year old unit.

Neither option can happen financially until next summer though - unless Santa brings it. He's missed my memos the past year - so i won't hold my breathe on that end of things.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I"d rather buy the refurb 80gb Classic for $169. More space, new battery, better battery life for video vs sinking $99 into a 3 year old unit.

Neither option can happen financially until next summer though - unless Santa brings it. He's missed my memos the past year - so i won't hold my breathe on that end of things.

sux well u could try some tape or something

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
OK, BTT this because the button has again quit working.

The kids played Peggle for about 10 minutes and it was toast. It hasn't sunk as much as before, but takes about 10 pushes to get it to register.

I'm pretty sure the hard drive cable can't take being taken apart again - BUT, i'm willing to try if someone might have another idea of what i can do to get the rubber button to stick.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any suggestions?

I wish it was in the budget to replace - maybe Santa will come thru for me 'eh? :rolleyes:

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
OK, BTT this because the button has again quit working.

The kids played Peggle for about 10 minutes and it was toast. It hasn't sunk as much as before, but takes about 10 pushes to get it to register.

I'm pretty sure the hard drive cable can't take being taken apart again - BUT, i'm willing to try if someone might have another idea of what i can do to get the rubber button to stick.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any suggestions?

I wish it was in the budget to replace - maybe Santa will come thru for me 'eh? :rolleyes:

that santa part may not work out for ya

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.