Broken command T

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Temptations, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Temptations macrumors newbie

When I want to open a new tab in Safari, FireFox and Opera I press the keyboard shortcut of command & T but it no longer works. command w closes the window, command r refreshes the page. Any ideas what is wrong?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

The two things to check would be going to the Pref Pane for Keyboard and Mouse, selecting the Shortcuts tab, and looking through the list to see if there's a command-T in there anywhere; that might override the key command in other apps if there is. (I see a command-option-T in my list, but no straight command-T.)

The other would be to ask if you installed any system additions/hacks recently that might have created a systemwide command-T shortcut to do something, that is then overriding the regular behavior.

Obviously it's not the keyboard itself, since you can type it...

3. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

In addition to Mokosuke's advice, if you have Quicksilver (or any application that allows you to create keyboard shortcuts/triggers), check it, as well.

I had a similar issue a while back, and it was because I accidently used the same thing for a trigger in Quicksilver.

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

It's weird. Sometimes system commands just stop working. For example, I do a fair bit of screen capturing (CMD+3) and (CMD+SHIFT+4) and for some reason, either one or both of those commands just stop working. It usually works again if I switch the command to something else (like I did the CMD+3, it's usually CMD+SHIFT+3) but I digress.

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Yeah, my command ? to bring up Help just randomly stopped working too. Sigh :(

6. Temptations thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I have fixed it. My speech shortcut was over riding it, thanks for all of your help :)