broken contract i phone ` prepaid?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by locustwoodfarm, Oct 3, 2012.

1. locustwoodfarm, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

locustwoodfarm macrumors newbie

I am a newbie to the forum and a newbie to technology- please be patient with my ignorance. I was one of five lines on my cousin's AT&T plan. Husband lost job, so contract is now broken. I have an iphone 3g that I bought outright from a friend. How do I switch it to prepaid? I have a sim card that was never activated from an AT&T prepaid blackberry that I used for a week or so when my iphone was being repaired. Also can I keep my current number? And how do I transfer my contacts, apps, music etc to a new sims? Sorry to be so ignorant but I don't speak tech very well so please be patient...Thanks in advance

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

First thing you need to do is get that 3G "unlocked" so it can be used with any carrier. If you search around there are services that do this. I have not done it myself, so can't recommend one in particular.

Here is thread discussing unlocking. If the 3G was an ATT phone off contract and you were still with ATT, they would unlock it for you. You might try calling ATT first and explain what happened and see if they will unlock it for you.

Then just get yourself a prepaid voice/data plan that will work with the iPhone. I just noticed an announcement yesterday that AT&T offers an iPhone prepaid plan, so that might work out for you.

You will need to talk to whoever you use for the prepaid plan about "porting" your existing number over. I don't know if numbers can be ported to prepaid like normal subscribed plans though?

As far as getting you data over to the 3G, you can use either iTunes or iCloud to move your data to the new phone.

3. locustwoodfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the help...I had thought there may be a few more replies. I guess it's a tired subject but it's brand new to me.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.howardforums.com

You might check in at this forum also. Lots of phone info and unlocking info there.

5. locustwoodfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

It's all taken care of. Thanks again for the help.:)