Broken Display ... Early 2013 MacBook pro ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KBS756, Jun 15, 2014.

1. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Hey ... my 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro Screen seems to be broken ... and I'm out of warranty ... so just wondering if someone can give me a ball park ... on what apple will charge to fix it ...

Or if I should just order a Panel from OWC ... for 499.99 and do the replacement myself ...

A bit perplexed how this happened as there is no physical damage to either side of the top case of screen ... just I have a bunch of vertical and horizontal lines running out from a point.

2. anth macrumors member

Make a Genuis Bar appointment, and kindly request/suggest the possibility of it being sent out for "depot flat rate repair" if they do not bring it up. This is only applicable if there is no physical damage (which seems to be the case!). This *may* end up being less expensive than replacing the panel yourself. Good luck!

Also, it may not be the panel itself, but another component upstream.

-Anthony

3. mrmali macrumors member

replacement is more useful than going to a store cause they don't even help the machine stat which one is out of the warranty.

4. anth macrumors member

If I'm understanding you correctly, that is not my experience. At the Apple Store, you will not be charged for a Genius to meet with you and give you an estimate (and hopefully qualify for a depot flat rate repair).

5. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

its always easier to go to the store, sometimes they even do repairs for free, i've had this experience twice, on OOW units. (Disclaimer: like 2-3 months out of warranty)

6. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thx everyone for the replies ended up having apple do it for 700 including tax ..

OWC wouldn't guarantee that I could return for dead pixels And or Image retention. Ended up with an LG manufactured sja2 hope issues are ironed out with these by this point