broken fan cause poor performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dbernie41, Jun 2, 2010.

1. dbernie41 macrumors regular

I have a broken fan in my 2008 MBP. The broken fan is on the side where my right hand is so im assuming thats thr right fan on the MBP. It still spins a bit but is insanely loud but my MBP performance has dropped considerably lately and im wondering if there is any correlation between the two. The main issue is video. Videos that used to stream fine low lag and are choppy and working in Final Cut and After Effects has become quite the slow and verrrrrry choppy process. All things were working out smoothly until recently. I am getting the fan replaced next week and hope it remedies these problems. If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear it! Thanks!

2. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

run XRG to monitor your CPU/GPU temperature, could be getting too hot and underclocking itself to run cooler

3. dbernie41 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know how to tell if it's underclocking itself but I very much hope that is the case.

4. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

if it's running too hot it'll slow itself down to use less power and cool down if the fans can't catch up with the cooling process, XRG will give you all the temperatures

5. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Forget performance. If you don't fix the fan, you're going to kill the system. Heat kills electronics. Unless the death of you system means a shiny new one....:rolleyes:

6. applefieddarwin macrumors newbie

agreed. You should really get that fixed. Heat - BAD for electronics.

7. dbernie41 thread starter macrumors regular

Im trying, Im in my final week of school and need it every day for these final projects.