Broken Fans - will external notebook cooling pad work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heathcc, Aug 30, 2009.

1. heathcc macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 1st gen (1.83 dual core) macbook pro that I've used and abused for the last 3.5 years. Recently, I've started seeing horizontal lines appear on the machine. These lines will increase in frequency until the machine either freezes or completely shuts down. I'm pretty sure that both of these symptoms are due to overheating as both of my fans have quit on me (probably from the aforementioned abuse).

Replacement fans at ifixit.com run around $40 a piece. Do you think that one of those USB cooling pads (which can be had for ~$20) would cool my machine enough that I would quit having these symptoms? Also, do you know of a good place to obtain fans for cheaper than the $40 per fan that ifixit.com wants to charge me?

Thanks for you help!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The cooling pads are not really that effective. Replacing the fnas would be better for a variety of reasons.

3. darkdream macrumors member

you need to replace your internal fan if you want your internal components to survive long...cooling pads are meant to decrease the temperatures a few degrees only... not to substitute.

4. heathcc thread starter macrumors newbie

In that case, do you know of any good places to obtain a pair of fans for less than $80+tax? This seems fairly steep for a couple of fans!

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

These things aren't exactly easy to get ahold of. If you have an Apple Repair Center nearby, you can give them a call and ask if they will sell you the fans loose. A Genius Bar will almost certainly require that they install the fans themselves, although you may want to have it done for you anyway. Might as well get a quote from them.