broken feet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghanwani, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

How do I fix broken feet on my mind 2010 MBP? I came across a page describing this, but I'm not sure how to order the parts. AppleCare won't talk unless I purchase a single incident ticket for $29.

2. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the pointer. I would prefer to get the kit that Apple has for this (with the feet, glue, alcohol swabs, etc.).

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

You usually can just pick these up if you make an appointment at the Genius bar. Heck often they will even do the install for you.

http://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202450 - they specifically state to call them so I'm a bit surprised that you need to "pay for an incident ticket"... the fact that your paying for parts should supersede that.

4. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will I have to pay for that appointment? If so, do you know how much it would cost?

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Genius Bar: Heck no. The repair kit: Probably.

AppleCare Phone: you shouldn't have to pay for a ticket just to buy a part.

6. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

They sell for about $10-15 on EBay. You get 4 feet, 4 caps, and 3 cover stickers (one remains uncovered). Only thing you need besides that is something like Krazy Glue.

To replace them, just follow these steps:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202450

7. technosix macrumors 6502a

I just installed a fresh set on my MBPr, it's fast and easy.

I'm picky and preferred to do it myself. :)

8. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I made a Genius Bar appt for next week since that was the earliest available. The guy I spoke to said it will cost $10 per foot, but I have often gotten incorrect info, so I'll see what happens when I get there. Would it make sense to get all 4 replaced, or just the broken one?

Regard speaking with AppleCare for ordering a part...since the automated system asked me if I wanted to buy credits even before transferring me, I was concerned I would be charged regardless of the nature of the call. If I accept the charge at the time of responding to the machine, would they simply not charge anything if the call just involved an order?