Broken Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Samwise592, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Samwise592 macrumors regular

Ok, i bought my MacBook about 2 months ago (specs in sig), and up until now it has been nothing but wonderful. I did plenty of reading here before i bought it, and i think I'm pretty mac-proficient. I've repaired permissions regularly before and after updates, keep a clean desktop, use AppDelete to remove programs, and all the other things that are recommended for a clean system.

Now for the problem: I tried copying something to my AirpotDisk This morning and the system froze up, i know OS X and the finder has some problems with network shares, so i dismissed it and restarted (hard restart, apple menu didn't work). So the system booted again and i opened finder, only to find a beach ball staring at me. Another hard restart, this time clearing the P-Ram. No luck. Into single user mode i went, fcsk -fing my way silly. Still freezes upon opening a finder window. Repaired permissions... hard restart... nothing, i just cant get finder to respond! even the :apple:+cmd+esc finder "restart" command doesn't work.

If ANYONE has ANY idea how i can get my wonderful mac working again i would be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance!

oh, P.S. All my other programs run and operate fine, its only finder that wont work.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. Can you boot into Safe Mode by holding SHIFT at startup? Did fsck have to make any file system changes?

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Try the safe boot first. You might need to archive and install.

Maybe try a new user account to see if it carries over.

4. Samwise592 thread starter macrumors regular

Tried the safe boot, no dice... and i didnt feel like dealing with another user account. Stole my friends mac book, and target disked my files to my external HDD, reformatted and now im like new again.

only problem is... now i cant get my airport disk to register at all... grr.... any ideas there?