Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CheeseBread365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
I recently updated my imac g3 from mac os 9 to Mac os x panther. So I decided to boot into mac os 9 again, and I selected in in the boot up drive options. So I then clicked restart, and the computer gets stuck at the smiling macintosh logo also, when I attempt to boot from a disk, it never gets past the loading apple logo.

What have I done wrong

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Try holding X while you turn it on. On some Macs, that will force it into booting OS X(if installed) and I think the 2000DV is one such model.

Also, a PRAM reset never hurts.

CheeseBread365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
I tried holding x, and it still just gets stuck at the smiling mac. How do I do a pram reset
[doublepost=1508590620][/doublepost]
I tried holding x, and it still just gets stuck at the smiling mac. How do I do a pram reset
looking I forgot to mention when I try to boot from my os x install cds it never gets past the apple logo

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
command+option+p+r all held while powering up the computer. Wait for it to chime, and then wait for a second chime. It may take a while.

Reactions: G4fanboy

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
I have been reading the number 3 and "let it chime 3 times" since 2004 on most of the tutorials to reset PRAM. Maybe you dont have to do it 3 times, but I have been teached on to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.