Broken g4 towers

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Zeke D, May 22, 2012.

1. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

So here is what I have (all G4 towers):

Digital audio dual 533 with a blown USB and fried psu.

Non DA 350mhz everything working (the one with 4 ram slots and the heat sink without a fan)

I know the psu is different on both models. The heat sink also has different "legs" so I can't just swap CPUs. If it were a single CPU I could probably just use the heat sink from the 350, but I would worry about heat.

The 350 doesn't have enough "oomph" to run leopard even with the open firmware trick, and the dual 533 has all those problems. Basically I want to get something running with leopard to serve my iTunes, and possibly run iWork.

Any suggestions?

I also have a pair of dead g5 towers, one has the defective ram slot issue, and the other has bent pins on one of the CPU sockets.

2. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

The 350 MHz G4 should be able to run Leopard although obviously it's not going to be the fastest Leopard machine - if it's a "Sawtooth" then it should just need the firmware script to trick the installer.

If it's a "Yikes!" ie when you start up from the Leopard DVD you get "unable to find driver for this platform" or some other crash that stops you getting to the start of the installation, these are basically a "blue and white" G3 with a G4 processor so you need to use the more complex Leopard installation method that applies to G4-upgraded Beige and Blue/White G3s, as Leopard omits some drivers that are needed for pre-AGP machines.

3. Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Tiger installs just fine, but any attempt to run leopard installer results in a kernel panic. I have a G3 iMac running leopard at 600mhz, so I don,t know what the issue is. I guess the ultimate goal is to get the dual 533 running, but with a shot USB and psu, it's not looking good. I guess I want to put the dual 533 in the sawtooth, but don,t know how to make it happen.

4. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

Are you sure it's Leopard on your iMac? Leopard was compiled by Apple without any G3 support so it (the final release, some of the developer previews had G3 support) will only run on a G3 machine if it has been upgraded to a G4, which is not possible with the iMac unless you have one of the rare G4-upgraded ones.

Leopard is harder to install with pre-AGP machines so if it's a "Yikes!" you would need to use the method of installation that the beige and blue G3s need (again it will only work when they have been upgraded, though G4 upgrades for them are relatively common) - which type of G4 do you have?

If it's a "Sawtooth", ensure it has the latest firmware upgrade installed and a working battery.

5. Zeke D, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

Zeke D thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

You are right, it is tiger installed on the g3 iMacs. Anything special I need for a replacement psu? One of the g4 towers is a 350mhz sawtooth, the other is a dual 533mhz digital audio.