Broken Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patrick122, Jan 16, 2013.

1. patrick122 macrumors newbie

Please excuse me, as I know this is in here but I am in a different country and am paying at a cafe.

My macbook pro HD is done. Fell off a bunk bed and damaged the unibody case a bit too. Quick question:

Can anyone driect me to a website where I can buy macbook pro Hard Drives and parts of the case?

Also, when I install a new HD how do I go about installing OSX? Just pop in the CD was my guess but wanted to make sure.

Thanks guys!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Any SATA 2.5" HD will work.
    As for parts I don't know.

You didn't tell which MBP, did it come with a Install DVD, if yes then you answered your own question, just drop in the DVD and reinstall.

3. patrick122, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

patrick122 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome appreciate it!

If I lost the discs what do I do? Im pretty sure Ihave them but just in case.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can call 1800MYAPPLE and Apple will sell you another set.

5. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

For parts and guides, you can go to www.ifixit.com. If a lot of parts got broken, you might be better off buying another damaged similar model. But beware, even though unibody MBP's are way easier to operate on than all earlier models, there still is a big risk if you replace other parts than ram, hard drive or battery.

Also, in my experience, the hard drive is usually not the first thing to break if a unibody MBP takes the plunge. Are you absolutely certain the hard drive is the problem?

RGDS,

6. patrick122 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes my bro took it to the apple store and they said it was the hd. Quoted me 300 for that and 400 for the cosmetics. Considering buying a new 13", but not sure if its worth it. Suggestions?