Broken HD/Broken OS?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by matt0000, Jun 21, 2011.

1. matt0000 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have been reading posts here on MacRumors for ages and I decided to create an account. I have a slight problem and I think this is the place where I can get my answer.

I'm not sure if my macbook has a broken HD or OS. when I boot up, the screen goes white and i eventually get the blinking grey folder at the center of my screen. What does this mean?

Im running OS 10.5.8, 13" macbook white with clicker, 2GHz intel core duo, 1 Gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I also have another working macbook same specs excepts it runs OS 10.6.3. I back up my files using an ExHDD. What possible solutions can I do?

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

What you could do (if both mac's have firewire) is to start your macbook in "target disk mode" (search google on how to do that) and then start from your macbook. Then you can check whether your hard drive is broken.

Anyway, when I had that on my screen the hard drive was broke. (it's most likely not the OS, because the folder with question mark means it can't find the files, so more likely a broken hard drive).

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I'm not sure if my macbook has a broken HD or OS. when I boot up, the screen goes white and i eventually get the blinking grey folder at the center of my screen. What does this mean?"

Just some thoughts....

- Try going to the "Startup Disk" preference pane in System Preferences. Click ONE time on your internal drive to select it. Close System Preferences, shut all the way down (power off). Restart. Does the problem persist, or is it gone?

- The "grey folder" (does it have a question mark inside?) may indicate that something is wrong with your System Folder (most likely, one or more missing or corrupted files inside). Probably the only way to get rid of it is a complete re-installation of the System.

- Do you have a Snow Leopard boot DVD, even for the _other_ MacBook? If so, try booting the problem MacBook from the DVD. Does it boot? If so, does the installer "recognize" the problem MacBook? You might be able to install Snow Leopard right onto it!

4. matt0000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I cant boot up so I cant use your first solution. Yes, it is a gray folder with a question mark inside. Lastly, I don't have the installers with me. Its with my dad abroad. tsss.

Can I do anything else?