Broken HDD or SATA cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eragooo, Jan 18, 2015.

1. eragooo, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

eragooo macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I bought new Seagate SSHD drive for my MBP and I have problems with freezes and I/O errors.
    This drive passes all SMART tests, but DriveDX.app says thad could be a problem with SATA cable or power.

It is possible? There is no problems with my old HDD drive :/

2. aquilc, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

aquilc macrumors member

Hi, if the old HDD is working fine with the same computer, it is safe to assume the issue comes from either the new Disk drive and/or compatibility with your Apple Computer.
    Also is the Disk connected properly with the computer?

Can you test the new Disk Drive with another computer?
    If yes, and it does work properly, it would be safe to assume that it's compatibility issue. Did you check about the compatibility between the new Disk and your computer?

A firmware update on both your computer and/or Disk might resolve compatibility issues.

Also did you do a fresh installation of the MAC OS on the new drive or have you copied an image from your old Hard Drive onto the new one?

Also why did you opt to change your Disk Drive? Was it because you needed more Disk Space, hence bought a Disk with more storage capacity, or wanted more performance from your computer?
    Or your computer was not behaving properly and opted to change the Hard Drive?

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

First things first, what MacBook Pro do you have?

You can determine this by:

1) Clicking the Apple menu
    2) Selecting "About This Mac"
    3) Looking at the top line of the subsequent box.

Attached Files:

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Sorry this is just not true.

Have a look on here and you'll see many threads where people have faulty cables. They'll work with the existing drive but with a new SSD they don't.

OP: Cable faults are common. It is worth getting a new cable just to test it out. They're not expensive.

5. eragooo thread starter macrumors newbie

- Disk is properly connected.
    - Unfortunately, I don't have another computer to test it :(
    - Fresh Yosemite instalation.
    - I bought new disk because I needed more free space.

MBP 13" Early 2011

6. aquilc macrumors member

Hi Thanks, for your input and correction. I am new to Apple, I've been working in IT for the last 4 years (only repaired Mac Computer on 2 occasions), and I've never encountered a faulty cable in PCs (excluding Mac computers), hence I took it for granted with Mac Computers. Thanks again for your correction. :)

7. eragooo thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is DriveDX error
    [​IMG]

My old drive (500 GB HDD rpm) is +5V 0.451 A, the new SSHD is +5V 0.70 A
    Maybe that is a problem?

8. ZVH macrumors 6502

The only application that can properly test for cable problems is Scannerz. On a hard drive it will load data into the drives cache and then continually read, with periodic updates, to look for I/O errors and corrupt data. Whether it does that with a hybrid (it is a hybrid, right?) I couldn't guarantee. I assume it would.

In any case there's another post on here about a hybrid that's failing but his drive was several years old. If I were you I'd put the new HD into an external enclosure and see it you can boot it and use it like that for a while to ensure the drive isn't bad. If it works then the cable is your next option. If it continues to be a problem even with a new cable then a fault has likely caused during installation. Scannerz can pick them up too, but if it does it's basically telling you what you don't want to here (bad/damaged logic board).

Odds are it's the cable. They're unbelievably fragile.