Broken headphone jack in iMac 2007 model - what next?

Justin122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
What do I do next? Do I call up Apple? Do I go to the Apple Store?

Also, I got my iMac in December 2007, is it still in warranty? I didn't get Applecare.

Thanks,

Justin

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
Your iMac is not in warranty. Either pick up a USB audio device (live without the internal headphone jack) or you are probably looking at a few hundred to replace the motherboard (not sure if the ports are on their own board or on the motherboard).

MobiusStrip

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2009
You don't need a new motherboard. You can buy a new audio board for a few bucks. Search for "iMac 2007 audio board".

MobiusStrip

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2009
You never know! I just encountered it myself, with the headphone jack physically not working anymore. I want to use the computer for karaoke and feed a mixer with it, so I have to replace the jacks. Found a used board for $6.

Justin122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
You never know! I just encountered it myself, with the headphone jack physically not working anymore. I want to use the computer for karaoke and feed a mixer with it, so I have to replace the jacks. Found a used board for $6.
Just looking through my old posts and I remember buying a USB audio device. I have since given away my iMac but will be getting it back soon. May give this a go

MobiusStrip

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2009
Just looking through my old posts and I remember buying a USB audio device. I have since given away my iMac but will be getting it back soon. May give this a go
Cool. The board I bought is still sitting in front of that computer... not installed yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.