Broken Headphone Port- any way to disable it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smitty046, Sep 30, 2008.

1. smitty046 macrumors newbie

My friend tripped over the stereo cord and snapped the tip off in the headphone port of my macbook. I'v tried for hours with tweezers but it was a clean break and there is nothing to grab, and replacing it is out of the question as that would entail getting a new logic board. Also it still recognizes the bit that is in there and will not allow me to use headphones or just play sound through the speakers. Is there a way I can disable the headphone port so that it will stop recognizing the tip of the stereo input?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

One common recommendation for this is to use a very tiny bit of super glue on the end of a toothpick (or something similar) to adhere to the broken piece and then pull it out. Of course be extremely careful not to get super glue anywhere else, but I suppose that goes without saying. :)

3. smitty046 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have actually tried that to no avail, the bit is stubborn.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You tell your friend to go out and buy you some new headphones. And while he's at the store, he buy you a new Macbook as well :p. I was gonna suggest the superglue/toothpick method too but too late. Try taking it to the Genius Bar and see if they can remove it for you.

5. ankitsid macrumors member

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I have no idea how the MBs is. But most jacks I've seen aren't inclosed when you get it out in the open.
    Meaning: you could open up the device, and push out the broken tip from the socket.

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Happened to one of my friends on his HP PC a while back. It's very hard to remove, you may want to let one of the Geniuses have a go at it.

Give the super glue idea a go again in the meantime. I would try to answer how to disable it, but I'm unsure and would rather have it fixed.