Broken Heat Sensor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattZani, Jul 9, 2008.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

On SMCFanControl and iStat Pro, both are reporting temps nearing 70C, yet the casing is just warm to touch, at a rough guess no more than 40C, the base is about 50C, but nothing is nearing 65 - 70C

As a note, the laptop has been on for over 24 hours, with just transmission on, and the fans set at 2000Rpm (but the fans still increase right?) When i have finished Handbraking i am going to reboot, just wondering why i am getting the temps i am?

Edit : Just looked on iStat, Base Enclosure (Assuming this is the bottom of the case) is 31C, but SMC is still jumping quickly from 65 - 69C. Also, turning fans upto 6000 from 3500 has decreased heat, but only from 69C to 60c in 5 mins, it keeps on creeping up and down.

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Touch the top part of keyboard, right above the F6 key. That should be hot. The bottom case is hot right under the 4 bottom screws, bottom away from you. That should be hot. Everything else should just feel cool. I doubt your temp. monitor is busted.

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Above the F6 area is warm, not hot to the point of 60C, battery kind of area is quite hot though, probably is getting near 60C there. Just wondered how, when all im doing is web, music and Excel, the temps are high?

I Still love my MBP ^^

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

When was the last time you turned off your computer? Safari, iTunes, and Excel both use quite a bit of CPU power, so that is probably the reason. Also, if your battery is charging your computer will be hotter.

5. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Well i turned it off 30 mins ago, and let it sit for a couple mins.

Now i have Mail, FF3, iTunes, and MSN Open, Mail is background, so is MSN, iTunes is syncing an iPod, and im typing this in FF3, and im getting around 40C, which is my usual.

When i had the problem, it would have been turned on about 30 hours from when i posted, and from 11pm to 5pm in 'Sleep' with just transmission running.