Broken Hinge rMBP 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattysouthall, Nov 20, 2015.

1. mattysouthall, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015

mattysouthall macrumors member

I have had my MacBook about 8 months, the hinge appears to be broken on it, the entire screen has shifted around 1cm backwards and is no longer aligning up when closed.

On top of this, the hinge has bent the casing outwards and damaged it, the screen has been rubbing on open / close so it is also damage.

I basically need an entire casing and screen replacement on this MacBook. This is not my fault it has never been dropped, it has always been handled properly until I heard a click and from then on its all gone to hell.

Oh also, I can move the screen back to almost flat, I'm nearly on my way to having a laptop > iPad convertible!

Question is, will Apple replace and fix this for me? Even if it is the entire casing because I've heard entire casing replacements are not something they can do easily.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I don't think anyone here can speak for Apple on any kind of official capacity. I'd suggest taking it in and asking.

3. bizzle macrumors 6502a

That display was clearly over-extended. That's not a defect, it's damage. The aluminum of the top case (the part the keyboard is mounted in) would not bend outward on the back of the unit with only the force of gravity on the display. Somehow that display was very forcibly over-extended.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yeah sorry but that looks like user damage to me. Even if the hinges were to break, there wouldn't be enough pressure there to cause that sort of damage.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Book a genius appointment and go ask Apple. What do you have to lose?

Anything posted in this thread would just be speculation.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I didn't look at the picture when I originally posted. Now that I have, I can say that it looks like damage to me.

I'd apologize for doing this, but I don't actually feel sorry...but your units are off. There is nothing that is shifted 1 cm on your laptop. 1 mm, maybe.

7. mattysouthall thread starter macrumors member

I didn't post pictures of the display that has shifted, but the display has shifted backwards. I asked here first because I could never get into the Apple Store. I did a walk in appointment and waited 5 hours.

I had it looked at he has determined the hinge is broken. I have never had any force applied to the screen and they could see that. Apple has ordered the parts and are going to replace the entire unit.

The replacement is essentially an entirely new laptop. It is a new Display, Bottom Casing and Top Casing (with Battery as the top casing is what the battery is attached to).

Would have cost £571 but getting it free under warranty.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Interesting. Not sure where the photo has gone, but I didn't see any damage to the bottom case :s.

And it's also not actually *possible* to cover the bottom case under warranty. It's always an out-of-warranty part (the system won't let you process it under warranty), so I'd check your invoice carefully.

10. mattysouthall thread starter macrumors member

He did mention that and he deducted it off, the damage to the bottom is on the other side. I guess its out of warranty part because the serial number is on the casing so a new one has to be made where as the rest is refurbished parts.

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's not that - the new bottom case won't have a serial number (so keep the invoice for when you sell it to explain). It's that the bottom case is considered to be a "cosmetic" repair - since there isn't (normally) anything that would cause it.

12. mattysouthall thread starter macrumors member

I have had it replaced now and got it back, problem though. keyboard and trackpad keeps stopping working. I got it working through smc + pram reset and then I reinstalled OS X because I wanted to clear off all my files. Then it was working fine and then suddenly stopped working again tried pram and it wouldn't accept commands and now finally its started working again after a while.

Loose connection? Can I open the bottom case to take a look because last time I went to the Apple Store it took 3 trips + 5 hours wait in the Apple Store one day and no appointments available at my nearest store now (which is miles away).