Broken Home Button & Updating iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by RCLVR, Mar 21, 2016.

1. RCLVR macrumors newbie

hello,

my home button and touch ID have been broken for about 3 or 4 months now, and i have been unable to update iOS since. i didnt really feel the need to update until now, as there are some bugs from iOS 9 that are really starting to get on my nerves (weak wifi, black screen ect.). Every time i try to update, however, an error comes up that tells me that the update did not go through successfully. after some research, i have come to realize that apple does not let you update your device if any hardware is malfunctioning. darn.

My questions is: has anyone been able to update to a newer version of iOS with a broken home button, and if so, how?!
    any help is appreciated.

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

3. RCLVR thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately I'm still on 9.0.2 ... is there anything i can do?

4. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I'm on 9.1 and have no touch id. My home button works fine otherwise but I was told not to update because it would brick the iPhone if it didn't register the touch id. Right now its just disabled because the phone knows its not working. I know apple was supposed to make it so that the touch id wouldn't work but it could still update I haven't tried it yet as I don't want to brick the phone and I don't want to upgrade to 6s yet. I need to log onto apple support and ask them if I'd be able to update safely.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

The "bricking" aspect of it has been fixed in the re-issued iOS 9.2.1 update, and also in subsequent updates, like the current iOS 9.3.