Broken iMac as a primary monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by maxmaut, Dec 23, 2011.

1. maxmaut macrumors regular

Hi everyone, my name is Max, and i recently started using a 2009 MP with my old 24'' ASUS monitor at home. At work i use 24'' iMac, and i cannot stand the color difference and image quality difference when i get home and continue to work. I spent all my savings to get mac pro, so i have no spare money for a new monitor. But a friend of mine has an 2008 24'' white iMac with not functioning motherboard, which i can try to buy cheap or borrow. So the question is - if i can use that imac as my primary monitor or not? I did a little bit of searching, and did not find any useful info about that. I'm ready to use imac without back panel with mainboard, if that is needed to connect it to MP. But i'm not sure if i can connect it with any standart cable, and if imac's monitor can work with broken motherboard (i mean i don't know if there is any separate board that runs screen itself).
    So this is my issue, and i will appreciate any info.
    Best regards, Max.

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

You won't be able to connect the iMac as a monitor using a simple cable.

One might be able to hack something up and solder something to make it work, but for that you'd really have to know what you're doing.