Broken iMac G5: Any creative ideas for what I can do to it?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by deaathleopards, Apr 18, 2009.

1. deaathleopards macrumors member

I have an old broken imac g5 but, I have no clue what to do with it. I was thinking about making it an aquarium but me + water = danger. Any other creative ideas? If there are any which are pretty cool, I'll do it + post pics. :)

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Picture Frame
    Gut it and stick an LCD tv in it. (this would take a lot of work but would be awesome.)

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

What's wrong with it? Power supply or logic board died?

Other parts like the LCD could be good so if you're handy with a screw driver, just take it apart and sell the parts. Or just sell the whole thing as parts. Be sure to take out the hard drive and erase it if you have any sensitive information on it.

Best to sell it on ebay.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'd hate to see an iMac tossed out because a 50 cent part failed. Make sure that it is truly not worth the effort to repair.

5. deaathleopards thread starter macrumors member

No, I actually got it because it was broken - a friend had it and when it broke took it in to be repaired. She found out it would cost $300 or so to repair it.

UPDATE: This I believe (but not positive) was part of the problem http://www.apple.com/au/support/imac/powersupply/repairextension/

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If that was the only problem, it's a <$100 part on ebay.

7. deaathleopards thread starter macrumors member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how?

8. MTI macrumors 65816

Not only that, but there are online "do it yourself" guides that show how to repair the power supply for less than $10. ;)