Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkS63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2023
Hi, I recently purchased a second hand iMac, as my existing one has the dreaded hard drive failure (another story for another thread).

It was originally used in a pub, and has loads of songs on it. I let it auto play some songs in the background while I was decorating.

However, once it finished, I left it and it went into sleep mode. Moved the mouse expecting it to start up again but nothing. Went through the full reboot using the power button, nothing.

Checked the fuse at the plug, working fine.

Any ideas? Am I missing a truck somewhere?

MarkS63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2023
It’s an original model like this. And no, nothing shows but a blank screen
875df599050b8dc9b500722a9cea6217.jpg

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
What year iMac is it, and what OS was it running?
These articles from Apple Support might be helpful. For the first one, you'll want to select the OS from the dropdown.

ferko86

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2017
Sweden
Try theorist9 suggestions. Other than that, try connecting anything to it such as USB keyboard or mouse just to see if the iMac reacts at all.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If it's indeed like the one in the pic above (one of the earliest iMacs), then it's time to start looking for something "a bit more recent"...:cool:

MarkS63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2023
If it's indeed like the one in the pic above (one of the earliest iMacs), then it's time to start looking for something "a bit more recent"...:cool:

I’ve got another ‘flat screen’ Mac, and was hoping I’d put stuff from the two older ones on to that

But this one old Mac doesn’t power up at all, another one has a hard drive fault

The flat screen makes a horrible noise even though it does power up and the Home Screen loads

MarkS63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2023
Do you have any idea whether it's still using the original PRAM battery?

I would imagine it is yes.

I changed the fuse and power cable earlier, but there’s nothing at all when I switch it on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.