Broken iPhone 6...buy cheap Android phone until iPhone 8 or just buy the 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by intervenient, Jun 30, 2017.

1. intervenient macrumors 6502a

GPS and Wifi completely crapped out. Tried to do a home repair and the whole thing went to ****.

I was trying to wait until the 8 came out, but given still months away, that's a hard pass for me. I'm debating just buying a 7 now, or holding out for the 8 and getting a $100 Android phone while I wait. What's the best course of action here, price wise?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Check out the Apple Refurb store. They now sell refurbed iPhones - new outer case and battery. And they come with the standard one year Apple warranty. You can save 15% or more that way.

3. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502

QueenTyrone

Last time I checked you can take your 6 up to an apple store (even out of warranty) and they'll just give you a 6s or a 7. So I would try that

4. intervenient thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eh. It's an old phone, way out of warranty, pried open with the screws not going back in on the bottom and pretty bent. I can't see them giving me something for this. They wouldn't even repair the GPS issue in the first place.

5. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502

QueenTyrone

Did you go in a store? If yes Call apple, I've seen people with pretty much destroyed 6's get them replaced out of warranty. Nothing beats a try

6. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I have read on this site that Apple will usually give you some kind of gift card for older phones you turn into them. I am not 100% sure so call them first but it would be better than nothing.

7. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Apple will not touch that device. It'll be a waste of time. I'll say buy a second hand SE if you can find online and within your budget. It's a powerful device and will serve you really well until the iPhone 8.

8. mjschabow macrumors 65816

Yeah you can get an SE for $200 on Swappa. It'll work much better than any $200 Android phone.

9. intervenient thread starter macrumors 6502a

Best Buy is actually doing a promotion that lets you pay $7 a month to get a 64 gig SE. I went ahead and did that and will just pay the device off when the 8 comes out. I'm pretty stoked how this all worked out :D

10. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

Why would Apple do this ? I could see them doing it in limited cases but by no means as a standard procedure. Hell, I just switched to an iPhone and am using my wife's 6+ at the moment. Once the 7s or 8 come out, I can't imagine going to the Apple store, showing them this 6+ and saying I don't like it anymore or something is wrong with it and them hand me a newer version. This phone is in almost brand new condition too - it's had a screen protector on it from week 1 (probably took a day or two or so to pick up one) and same with a case.

11. chscag macrumors 68000

I agree. There is no way Apple is going to hand over a new phone in trade for your old one. They may in fact offer you a trade in $$ but it will be based on the phone. That's exactly what they did when I purchased my 7+ and traded in my 6+. They gave me $175.00 for the 6+ and deducted that from the cost of the 7+.

12. CatherineVeraGat Suspended

How much months do you have to pay for the new iPhone SE 64GB?

13. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

What sort of condition was your 6+ in? Unless it was in terrible shape, you likely could have sold it yourself for considerably more $$$

14. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

$200 for an SE? I don't believe that. Even the 5 still sells for that amount.

15. chscag macrumors 68000

It was in perfect condition but I was just too lazy to sell it myself. And since our Apple Store is only about a 15 minute drive from my house, I took the easy way out. :rolleyes:

16. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Probably closer to $250 than $200 now.

Just searched for Verizon, 16gb, good or better condition...may be some carrier versions are a little cheaper.

And of course, timing is everything...

17. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

You probably got ripped off without knowing.

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Depends how much you will desire the new iphone. Personally, I thought about it and I had an old phone available. But instead opted to buy iphone 7. Sams has the 256 at the same price as the 128 right now and a $150 off that (gift card).

If I really want the new phone, I can get it next June.

19. warshaw macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation as you. My Note 4 has been having serious issues lately. I've been holding onto this phone for what feels like forever waiting for a worthy upgrade. Was planning on getting the Note 8 or iPhone 8 this year. Just recently the Note 4 has become almost unusable. I purchased an iPhone SE but I'm going to return it. I thought it would be fine, but it's way too small. I'm planning on getting a cheap $60 BLU android phone from amazon. Hopefully I won't have too many problems with that until the new phones are released.

20. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

A "cheap" Android phone, if it's new, will work fine for most people for months if they just need to hold off for a bit. I think it's the materials and build quality that differentiate a Samsung Galaxy, HTC One, etc from the low-end Huawei, ZTE, etc models.

21. lanceh5 macrumors member

I have an iPhone 6 that the screen separated from the body along the left side. We used this primarily for a camera and have used it as a phone about 100 times. It has been sitting on the kitchen counter not in my pocket. Chatting with Apple, the repair is $330. We are 4 hrs away from an Apple Store so they will send a box to mail it to the repair facility.
    So some one will get this lightly used phone as a refurbished and I will get someone's heavily used iPhone as a replacement.

In hind sight, if I was going to get a new phone, I should not have repaired the old one and just bought a new one and throw the old one away.

Attached Files: