Broken iPhone glass, free replacement.. by mistake

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecritix, Jul 31, 2009.

1. thecritix macrumors 6502

So I dropped my iPhone Thursday night and smashed the screen.

Today I had an appointment at Apple in Lakeside, they told me I had two options, replace the glass 10-15 minute job or get a replacement phone either option would be £130 odd pounds.

I agreed, he ran it through the system, forgot to check a box and I got it free.

Thanks Apple for the free iPhone, but I think £130 to replace glass which is a 10-15 minute job is far too much. Maybe £60 or so would be more appropriate, how can it be the same cost for a genius to change a piece of glass as to give me a whole new phone?!

Anyway, that's my story in the UK.

Nick

2. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

3. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

the "new' phone would have just been a refurbished one.

and the one with the cracked screen, they would have repaired it and then given it to the next customer that needed a refurbished one.

4. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

refurbished price of the phone = price of new glass? :confused:

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Did this genius not know that he was supposed to be charging you for the repair?

Or was he just like "Oh woops! Missed a box a couple screens back. This SHOULD cost you 130 pounds. Oh well, must be your lucky day! Here you go!"

6. thecritix thread starter macrumors 6502

that was almost exactly what he said yes.

And it's not as simple as it being a swap and later they will sell my old one.
    The case on this one is new which is why I chose that, rather than glass replacment. Mine had a couple of scratches etc.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

With my luck I'll go in for a replacement and get your old iPhone....lol :p:p:p

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No.

Refurbished price of phone = price of new glass + turning in your old phone, which is still functional otherwise and thus has additional value to Apple.

They will replace the glass on your old phone, recondition it and give it to the next guy who needs a refurb.