Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tlove

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
My girlfriend dropped her first gen Iphone today. The glass shattered. :(
She is not eligble for an upgrade on her account. Does anyone know if she can buy a new iPhone for the discounted rate??

p.s. We already upgraded her account for my 3g iPhone. But with a broken one what would they do??

anyone have any other suggestions?

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
2 options:

1. Hand it in to Apple and hope for a cheap solution
2. Sell it on ebay and get a new 3G!

applehockey

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
If Apple is willing to fix it... this is what will happen...

If the iPhone is the 1st generation (old one), they will give you a refurbished iPhone. They won't give you a discount for the new one, unfortunately.

baxterco

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
San Diego, Ca
dropped my iphone

I was one of those knuckle heads that waited 4 hours in line to be one of the first million to buy the new 3G iPhone.
(I would also like to ad that I bought a new macbook that weekend as well)

After absolutely loving my new phone for less than 2 weeks. It fell off my lap on to the group from a height of all about 1.5 feet (one of the shortest drops I have ever put a cell phone through.) Only to find that when I picked it up the glass screen was shattered.

I put a peace of clear packing tape over the front and it all worked fine. (I thought about keeping it that way) I took it down to the apple store at fashion valley to see about getting it fixed. Only to have them tell me that they could only sell me a referb for 199.00

I had looked online and there was no 3g replacement screens available and the first iPhone is not the same size as the new one. As it was, the replacement screens for the 1g & 2g are 180 bucks online.

I ponnied up an additional 200 bucks and I have my 3g iPhone (well the replacement one anyways) This will be the last time - next go around will be a plexiglas replacement. I know I am going to drop this thing again - it is only a matter of time.

I went out and bought the beefiest case I could find. In hopes of preventing the inevitable from happening.

I feel like I am trying to cheat destiny.
The apple warranty does not cover this.

Once you do drop your phone it voids your warranty with apple. AT&T does not sell cell phone insurance to cover this nor does apple.
Kinda sounds like they know this is going to happen - a lot.

This is one way to sell more cell phones.

Apples statement was “its a computer not a cell phone.” uh dude (apple) its a cell phone and people are going to drop it you need to make it so it can handle being dropped. I see the cool stuff you make - make it so it can handle being dropped. heck I have dropped my ibook from farther and it lived. Or at least use a tempered glass for crying out loud. The thing shattered and I cut my self.

In short buy a case and DO NOT drop the dumb thing or you will be mad at yourself - and like in my case your wife will be mad at you as well for buying 2 iphone but only bring home one.

http://rescg.com/iPhone/Broken_iPhone_3g_Glass.html

Attachments

• iphonebrokenglass.jpg
    iphonebrokenglass.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 79

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
Mine is insured through State Farm insurance against theft, loss, and damage. They will cover up to $600 to replace it in case of any issues. Its called a personal electronic property device. My $2500 Dell Laptop is also covered. The policy cost me about $15/year.

xjohnx

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Mine is insured through State Farm insurance against theft, loss, and damage. They will cover up to $600 to replace it in case of any issues. Its called a personal electronic property device. My $2500 Dell Laptop is also covered. The policy cost me about $15/year.

What's your deductible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.