Broken iPhone. How do I clear my personal data for resale?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 6892, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 6892 macrumors newbie

In an epic night of drunken debauchery I time traveled (urbandictionary) and found myself in line at in-n-out. Much more time traveling later I woke up on my couch and horrors! my iPhone was gone. I called in-n-out and they said they had it, but it was in bad shape. Turns out it was run over.

Anyway, it looks like I can sell it busted and all, on ebay for a few bucks. (About a 30 racks worth.) I would like to sell it, but am worried that somebody could somehow get my data off my drive. How can I clear it? A big magnet? I can't turn it on, but that may be because the battery is drained and I can't charge it because the the charging port is bent in.

Advice?

Thanks.

2. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I don't know how you can do this, but I do know that a magnet won't help you out. There are no magnetic media in an iPhone. Flash memory isn't affected by magnetic fields.

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

If someone can get your data from that thing, they deserve it, especially if there's damage to the mainboard. I wouldn't worry about it if it won't mount on your computer.

For interest, why don't you post a picture of your phone? :)

4. Sebby macrumors 6502a

Why not just not sell it? Okay, so you have to forgo a small amount of money, but at least you'll have peace of mind.

5. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Well, maybe I spoke too soon about magnets not affecting an iPhone. Over in the accessories forum, this link to an Apple forum discussion was posted about how certain kinds of magnets are apparently not good for an iPhone. I don't know if you could rely in one to wipe all the data, though.

6. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Umm is having someone potentially have some of your personal data worth $30 ?

just toss it man its not worth the trouble