broken iphone, is it worth it ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billyjoegibsonx, May 11, 2009.

1. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

The other day i went on a family holiday and as soon as i got out the car to our hotel, what happens? my iphone falls out and smashes! i've heard of people fixing it themselves, but it seems too complicated for someone like me >.< knowing my luck i'll just damage it more. I don't have the phone insured, and was thinking of going to the apple store in glasgow an see what they say cause i only bought it in december '08. so i've only had it 6 months or so.

If i go down to the apple store, what services do they offer for this problem ? Will they replace it free of charge or at a fee. If so, whats a rough idea of the price we're talking about here to replace the glass screen ? thats all that needs replaced, the phones working absolutely fine but the screens just cracked everywhere! if it's over £50 then theres no way i'm paying it. Especially if theres a new iphone possibly coming out next month.

I just need a rough idea on what the apple store can do for me, how much it'll cost and if its worth getting it fixed or not, if theres a new iphone coming out.

Thanks

p.s prices in GBP pleeeease :D ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They won't replace/repair it for free. Depending on your contract you maybe able to get a new one and only be charged with the rebate price. You may be charged full price on the unit. It all depends, it seems there's very little uniformity on these issues are resolved.

3. billyjoegibsonx thread starter macrumors 6502

im on O2 UK - pay as you go. Im guess thats not a good thing ? :confused:

I'm not splashin out hundreds of £'s to fix it if i can use that money on a new one.

4. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

I live in Edinburgh and I repair iPhones (3G) with cracked screens.

If you are intested drop me an email

arobotic@hotmail.com

5. con500 macrumors regular

There was a place in Rutherglen mate who offered iphone screen repairs and at a fair price as opposed to having apple repair it:rolleyes:.. not sure if you mentioned but are you still within your warranty period? Dont know if screen damage would be covered by warranty tho, This kind of thing reminds me to look at some accedental insurance for myself:eek:

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I dropped mine out of my car and it wasn't insured. I had to pay £119 or was it £139, I can't remember now.I guess I have repressed this bad memory. I should have taken out insurance on it.

If you take it in to an Apple Store they will do a straight swap for a refurbished one and take yours in to be refurbished for some other unlucky person.:(