Broken iPhone screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daooof, Nov 24, 2010.

1. daooof macrumors regular

I have a 3gs and I broke the screen a year and a bit ago. I now have an iPhone 4 but I want to give my 3gs to my son for Christmas. I have done research on the subject (tried all the common white screen fixes) and have arrived at this conclusion: I need a new LCD screen for my iPhone.

I have done various tests: The touch screen WORKS as does the actual phone. From memory i went to the phone app and dialed (both the sound and touch worked) just everything is a white screen.

So I think I need a new LCD screen. Let me know if I am wrong and what my next course of action is.

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

3. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Buy a new LCD Screen off ebay for like $30AUD (which is roughyl the same as the USD nowadays).

Install it.

You can look up the guides on ifixit.com for instructions. It's quite easy and very doable. It'll take you an afternoon or so.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Lucifer is right you can replace the lcd but he is wrong about eBay. there are to many people ripping you off with fake or not working iPhone parts. they say you damaged the lcd when you try to return them so they are not responsible and thats even if they have a return policy. go to a reputable site like iResQ or something like that. do not use Zeetron or iFixDirect cause they are selling junk parts. and dont use Amazon cause Zeetron is the biggest seller on there. it should only take about 15 minutes to replace a lcd but make sure you get one for the 3g not the 3gs cause they do not interchange.

5. eshroom macrumors 6502

I'd go with eBay. As a seller myself, I like to encourage people to use it.

Prices will be much cheaper and faulty items can always be refunded, as a last resort you can also perform chargebakcs, so really despite all the potential "rip-offs" (in my experience you can spot a rip off easily anway) it is still a very safe, cheap and easy way to find this kind of item.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well if you take shrooms advice then I wish you the best of luck. I get people in my shop almost daily with bad parts off eBay and most never get refunded. your better off spending a few dollars more and getting the real part vs taking a chance on things working out with eBay. I buy alot of stuff myself on eBay but not iPhone parts. there are to many companies manufacturing cheap knockoff iPhone parts and selling them on eBay and Amazon.com but dont take my word on it cause I have only seen it a few hundred time!

7. CZK, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

Its lucifiel loll
    ________
    Ferrari 328

8. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

I could not find anywhere on iResQ to actually buy the LCD screen. All I saw were repair services.

9. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I have not checked lately to see if they still sell parts. alot of repair shops including myself will no longer sell parts. there are alot of people out there trying to fix their own devices that have no business trying. they mess up the part then they try to return it saying its defective when they are the ones who messed it up in the first place. I have had two people call today since lunch that are having problems with lcd's they bought off eBay. so do yourself a favor and dont buy there or amazon.

where are you located? I just checked their site and they sell the digitizer but not the lcd. the lcd's are very fragile and if not done correctly are easy to break. pm me with any questions.

10. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in Knoxville, Tennessee.

I'm not sure where to buy something thats legit then.

11. DEE9299, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

12. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

your to new so I cant pm you so you need to email me. I may have a solution for you.