Broken iPhone with SquareTrade insurance. Any claim experiences?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bloake, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

I just broke my iPhone that has SquareTrade insurance. I tried calling their CS number but they're off for the weekend. I would really rather speak with a CS agent than file via email. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences filing a claim with them they'd like to share. Once I call and file a claim, how does the process work? I'd really like to minimize the time that I am without a phone. Can this be done? I would rather not send my phone in and wait for reimbursement. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. elwood2 macrumors member

Which iPhone do you have? What did you break? If you have a 3GS or older you have the option of having squaretrade overnight you a refurbished.

A pre-paid label comes with the refurb to send your broken phone back to them.

If you want them to fix your phone, they will overnight you a box with a pre-paid overnight label to send your phone in and they will repair it pretty fast.

I think i got mine repaired (changed entire mainboard) within 2 business days of them receiving it and they overnighted it back to me.

3. crawsfire macrumors member

There is no way around not sending it in. If they can't fix it within 5 days then they will refund the purchase cost of your warranty minus a $50 deductible if you broke it, and eventually send you your phone, repaired.
    If they can't fix it at all they will send you money instead. They will send the cost of the subsidy. This means, after reimbursement, you can purchase a brand new iPhone for the same price you initially paid.
    Your warranty probably cost $100 plus a $50 deductible for this claim. So for $150 you get the privelege of buying another subsidized phone.
    They will sell your phone on Ebay.

4. Bloake thread starter macrumors 6502

Bloake

I have an iPhone 4 that I recently dropped =/ Will they really try to fix it instead of just replacing it? Would Apple's warranty be voided if they try replace the screen? Thanks!

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

How bad is your phone broken? And do you have an Apple Store nearby?

The claims process with SquareTrade will go like this: They've gonna have you send in your phone to a repair depot. It'll likely take a week, possibly a week and a half from the time you first contact them to have it evaluated and either repaired and sent back to you, or a check cut for the coverage value of the policy.

Note that once they've cut you a check, the Squaretrade policy is pretty much done with, and you'll have to buy a new one on the new phone if you still want coverage.

If you can't wait a week, the damage is minor, there's an Apple store near you, and it's important enough to spend an extra $199, then you might want to just set up a genius appointment at the Apple Store. Except in pretty serious cases, they will either fix the phone or give you a replacement on the spot. The cost will not be reimbursed by Squaretrade, but this will also save your Squaretrade policy for when you have your next disaster.

6. Bloake thread starter macrumors 6502

Bloake

So there's an option for this? And it's only available for minor damages on the phone? My damage is minor, with the camera function only affected because of the cracked glass. Touchscreen is working intact. Can I ask for this quick process instead? I wouldn't mind paying $199 upfront just so I can get a phone right away.

7. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Yes, just book a genius bar appointment and pay the $199 replacement fee.

8. Bloake thread starter macrumors 6502

Bloake

If the front glass is cracked, would they usually just fix it? I am worried that because they will replace the original part, the AppleCare will be voided if I ever bring in the phone for manufacturing defects. I would just rather be reimbursed for a new phone.

9. elwood2 macrumors member

Since it's an iPhone 4, squaretrade probably doesn't have any refurbs. It's pointless to contact squaretrade on the phone as they'll just tell you to file a claim online.

It'll probably take about 3-5 business days tops for you to receive you phone back.

Go online, file the claim with squaretrade. They use iresq.com for repairs. iresq.com will overnight you a box with foam in it along with a pre-paid label to send your broken phone back to them.

It took only one business day after they received it for them to fix mine.

It will most likely void your apple warranty after they repair it but you will still have your squaretrade warranty and if there are any manufacture defects from now on that apple won't cover, squaretrade will.

Let us know how it goes.

10. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

I know I probably sound like a shill but after paying out squaretrade (which cancels after your first repair or replacement) consider going with worthavegroup or something like safeware. Ive had very good experiences with both companies.

Because, honestly, I dont see the point in buying insurance for (99?) if you're going to be ending up paying the $199 "oops" tax anyways.

11. gouda272 macrumors regular

The warranty is only cancelled if they pay you the value of the warranty so that you may purchase a new phone in case they cannot fix yours. The warranty "value" is decreased if they perform a repair but it does not cancel out the squaretrade warranty.

12. Bloake thread starter macrumors 6502

Bloake

Sorry for the lack of updates. Here it is!

Sunday: After posting my previous post on this thread, I decided to just send an email to SquareTrade to make a claim instead of waiting Monday to call it in. It was easy and hassle-free.

Monday: I received a response email around 11am saying my claim was approved and $50 was charged for deductible. 10 minutes later, I received another email saying I was approved for an "Out of Warranty" swap at the Apple Store and I will have to front the money and will be reimbursed! :-D I immediately tried to book an appointment at the genius bar but the earliest I got was Tuesday noon.

Tuesday: Came in the Apple Store and was replaced all within 30 minutes. I was fairly disappointed that Apple was only covering 3 months warranty on my replacement but I was content nonetheless.

Wednesday: I've been meaning to post an update but haven't found the time. SquareTrade's twitter account followed up with me via Twitter later in the day which pleasantly surprised me, asking if everything went well with the process, to which I said yes!

Now all I have to do is scan my receipt and forward it to Squaretrade for reimbursement! Will follow up with new updates!

13. Bloake thread starter macrumors 6502

Bloake

Another quick update, I finally got around scanning my receipt and sending it in via email around 3:00pm earlier today and I recently got a response saying my claim was approved and I will be sent a check! That was so fast!

14. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Did your accidental damage or factory defect coverage get nixed for them having to buy you a new iPhone or are you covered for another trip to the Apple Store for either a defect or drop/spill/etc?