Broken iPhone!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sean7512, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

My iPhone is broken. All day today, it was switching between full service and no service, which struck me as odd. I just assumed that AT&T was doing something. After my last class, I head home using my Monster charger + FM transmitter to listen to music for the hour drive. I noticed that my iPhone was getting EXTREMELY hot, so I unplugged it and used my old iPod lying in my car. When I get home and turn on the screen, I got a bunch or random colors on the screen, so I restarted it. It came back up like normal, but almost immediately dropped to No Service, then I got a message saying "iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Go to apple.com/support."

I then turned my phone off completely then turned it back on. It worked great the rest of the night. About a half hour ago, I got the "Low power, connect to a power source" message, so I plugged it in. I just went over to check my texts, and upon touching the phone, it is BURNING up! It was so hot that it actually left a tingling sensation in my fingers. I quickly unplugged it and tried turning it on to no avail. I tried restarting it, no luck. As a last thought, I plugged it into the iMac...still nothing. So, what do I do now? Especially since I was going away tomorrow on a trip with my girlfriend and having a cell phone would be nice since her sprint phone has no service where we're going.

:mad:

2. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I would call apple support, tell them your situation. I had the same problem but with my macbook, and it was a business trip. They gave me a brand new one. Hopefully they can help you out.

3. strurtle macrumors member

Bring it into an apple store. You can rent an applecare service phone for $29 while your phone is in service.

4. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just made an appointment for 10:30am tomorrow, as I am leaving around noon. Any chance that the $29 fee can be waived? (I doubt it, haha)

It should be noted that this is my 2nd iPhone. The first one had about 25 minutes of battery life and I sent it into Apple where they sent me a "new" (refurbished) iPhone.....I can try calling support now, if they are even there.

Is there a diagnostic menu that I can maybe try bringing up? I would really like to get a sync with my computer.....

5. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

THE EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME the charger must have fried it dont use chargers that are not made with iphones i know this lol hell i had to replace my iphone a week later after buying it(jun 29) your lucky at least yours booted mine was so hot that it burned me and the screen was f****ed up and it wouldnt even boot i had to put it in the freezer and the funny thing is i took it out and it was still hot :eek: lol just go to apple and they should fix it :D

6. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, lesson learned for sure...the Monster car thing ONLY is used with the iPod. I did not know it would do this....I mean, it worked for about a month of using it EVERY DAY. The Apple Store employee said that I could use it with iPhone, so I never second guessed it, ahhh this stinks!

On the bright side, this iPhone had a dead pixel right smack in the center....