Broken iPod touch 4g screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MarshallRA, Feb 11, 2011.

1. MarshallRA macrumors newbie

MarshallRA

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My dads iPod touch 4g (8gb) screen is messed up. It looks like there is scanlines/interlacing and there are really weird purple vertical lines. I have shut it completely off and turned it back on but it's still there. It also looks sorta greyish and changing brightness does not help. It was cold here recently (around -30) and he brings it out to work some times. It is running iOS 4.2. Any help appreciated.

2. MarshallRA thread starter macrumors newbie

MarshallRA

3. Drucifer macrumors regular

Our 1st Gen had an issue where all of a sudden one day a grey line appeared across the screen, it was kind of thin... over the course of a few days it grew bigger then one day it turned into a huge blotch covering a large portion of the screen. :( Only option was to have the display replaced or buy a new device, a guy I talked to who repairs iPods and iPhones said he has seen it happen a few times.

For me though I already had the device for a number of years before it crapped out, unfortunately the 4th Gens just came out September 2010 so your dad would of had it no longer than 5 months. :(

4. MarshallRA thread starter macrumors newbie

MarshallRA

Yeah, he called apple about half an hour ago and they are going to send him a box to ship it to them in, they said it will be free but if there is water damage (which there isnt) he will have to pay.

This happened a few weeks ago but then fixed itself the next day, but this issue appeared last night.

I hope it does not worsen like your iPods issue, cause it sounds bad.

5. Drucifer macrumors regular

While I was able to replace the display so I use it now to store a bunch of music for my 2 year old. I use a 4th Gen and my wife now has my old 3rd Gen. ;)

Nice to hear he is getting it fixed though, hopefully Apple is quick.