Broken isight brand new Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deeiy, Jul 11, 2009.

1. deeiy macrumors newbie

Ordered a new macbook pro, friday. It arrived Saturday. that was great.:)

Turned it on and things started to get sus, the isight was really slow and video was not working properly.

So called Apple care JAPAN, today. we rest the PRAM, SMU, created a new user etc.

No luck, so the lady says, ok, well try re-installing OSX, not that I should have to but ok, Ill do it.:eek:
    Did that, and nothing, still exactly the same.:confused:

Called Apple care back, talked to the first lady, she transfered me to another lady, talked to her and she said, ok its a hardware problem we can repair it or send you a new one. I said please just send me a new one. ( i have had problems with other macs in the past ).:(

So she then transfers me to another guy who asks did you re-install, I sad yes. He says, well re-install again...... C'mon.... I lost it and said in Japanese " this sucks ", and hang up.:mad:

But, I figured sure, Ill install it one more time and make everyone happy. so did a 100% clean install erased the disk bla bla. and nothing exactly the same problem.:(

So I called Apple care again and said from the start Im angry, but tried to be as polite as possible. finally the guy says ok we will send you a new one. I hold for about 20 minutes to get connected to the store, only to get told we have to check the stock and call you back....

2pm and still waiting. the whole saga has taken 4 hours out of my day.

So im wondering, does this mean I get a free ipod touch or something. I feel like I have earned it.

I love apple, but Is there an issue with Quality control... how often does this happen. My first ibook also came with a dead battery.

Anyway, Apple please try and get it together. ( and I would love a free ipod touch )

David.

Attached Files:

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

chances are, you will get a giftcard or something at most. along witha new MBP of course.

3. deeiy thread starter macrumors newbie

**Update**

Wow past 6pm and Apple never called me back. after saying that would twice...

this is getting beyond a joke.

4. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I wish my isight would do that, looks so cool.

5. 1ne macrumors regular

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

:rolleyes:

You haven't. Especially given the above revelation.

Every company has issues with quality control. You're just making a meaningless extrapolation because you were unfortunate enough to have two problem units.

7. deeiy thread starter macrumors newbie

What can ya do.

@miles01110

Cheers, dude.:eek:
    The ipod comment, was a joke, I don't expect anything free. Apple is a business and need to make money, and they wouldn't make money giving things away for free. So don't worry I get that.

Japanese isn't my native language, but I can speak it pretty well. Im sure you have had a situation where you have explained something over and over again. I was polite and followed all the instructions. But asking me to install OSX a second time, and me again trying to explain I did it, was frustrating.
    Even given the Japanese I used to explain my frustration was way more polite than if it were a Middle aged Japanese man in the same situation. if you have even seen one get angry, they start yelling and cursing.

And after re-installing I called Apple back again, and was polite about it.

Bad luck on my Part and I know its not everyones experience, but a call back would have been nice (they promised twice).

Anyway, just wait and see I guess.

Still love apple, everyone has bad days I guess.

8. cu2010 macrumors 6502

I hear customer service in Japan is impeccable as in "service, above all else," treating everyone as though they were VIP's :D At least we were treated as such when I visited Tokyo. And that's one of the reasons why my cousin never comes back. Maybe they're afraid that a customer will start "yelling and cursing." I've also witnessed an angry, drunk(?) customer who were merely being unreasonable from my point of view. Boy, was he scary :eek:

9. deeiy thread starter macrumors newbie

Japanese service

On the whole, Japanese service and particularly, face to face service is amazing. I love that about Japan. I think sometimes there are situations with phone service where things get put in the too hard basket. But even then phone support is still amazing with most companies. hmmmm,
    Im sure they did their best, but Im guessing they were too busy and overworked today. Really home they call tomorrow.

Japanese Salary men can get really full on when they are unhappy with a service.

10. cekum macrumors newbie

Apple do NEED better quality control.

The iSight on my "last" uMBP (had it for only 3 days) didn't work properly from the begining and quit working shortly after. I called AppleCare and thankfully the rep is very reasonable. He asked me to reset SMC, try different apps. I followed him even though I did that before I called. And after I told him I had already tried the "create a new account" approach, he skipped it and scheduled an appointment with my local Genius bar, WITHOUT the reinstallation drama. So at my local store, the Genius, suspecting a connection issue, simply gave me a replacement (mine is not BTO). That guy is really nice. He unboxed the new MBP and swapped the hard drive in front of me so I don't need to reinstall everything.

Overall, I'm satisfied with Apple customer service at least in US. and I think AppleCare is a MUST!

11. deeiy thread starter macrumors newbie

call it in.

No return call from Apple. so I called them again at 2pm today.
    After being bounced around 5 or 6 times, I finally talked to the store lady and she gave me a time tomorrow for the pick up/ delivery of a new MBP.

5 calls and countless conversations later, it looks like there is a resolution.
    Im sure they are doing their job as best they can. However I might suggest if your in Japan, that you take your mac into an Apple store as it might save a bit of time.

d.

12. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

I didn't read the replies so I don't know your current status. All I know is, apple WILL mail you a box and you can send them your computer. 3-4 business day turnaround, diagnosed and fixed issue, they'll send it back to you. just gotta bug them until they do.

13. deeiy thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it

New MBP turned up 30 mins ago.

Finally, thank you apple. Seems to be working great. no coupon etc, but hey.

One little thing on customer service, no free stuff I can understand. but a little personalized message/ card... ie "sorry for the trouble" would really be great.
    Maybe a suggestion for the future.

d.

14. Snowbound macrumors regular

Well, can't complain with that. A replacement is as good as can be expected...