broken isight camera

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by musefreek, Apr 28, 2011.

1. musefreek macrumors member

whenever i try to skype or photobooth the little green light goes on but the screen stays black. has anyone had this problem before and if so is there an easy way to fix this or will i have to get a genius to look at it? i have apple care so hopefully there won't be any costs involved. does anyone know how long it'll take them to fix it?

thanks.

2. borisiii macrumors 6502

It may be a software issue if the green light comes on but there is no image. Try a PRAM reset.

Otherwise it looks like it will be a hardware fault, in which case you should book a genius bar appointment. My 13" MacBook Pro's iSight stopped working last year (no camera connected message appeared in Photo Booth). I took it to an Apple store, and the genius determined there was a problem with the iSight cable. The solution was to order in a replacement top assembly, which took three days to arrive at the store, during which I kept my MacBook. When I dropped it off again for them to switch the displays they told me it would take 5-7 days, although I got an email that evening to say it was ready to be picked up the next day.

My repair was covered under the 12-month warranty, but the document I signed when I collected it indicated that the out-of-warranty repair cost was just over £800 (~$1300).