Broken key. MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachcheatham, Nov 24, 2010.

1. zachcheatham macrumors regular

zachcheatham

Today, while playing team fortress 2, I pressed kind of the side of the "d" key and then the opposite corner of that key popped up out of place. So I pushed it back down until it clicked back into place. I kept playing and noticed that the key popped back up. Since the one corner came out of place, the other one also came up. So then I gently lifted the key up so I can see whats up. It turns out that the upper right corner's little snap piece has slightly cracked so that it doesn't hold onto the plastic mechanism as well, causing it to come up when the key is pressed in the right way.

Its a 13" Mid-2009 MacBook Pro that I bought in April of this year. I think I'm going to bring it into the apple store to have them swap out keys. Do you think they will have that key there at the store or will they have to take the laptop for a day or something like that to have it replaced? Do you also think I will run into problems trying to get it replaced?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

They might have extra keys, they might not.

When it happened to mine, they had an extra 'M' lying around. The "Genius" fixed it on the spot.

But that's not necessarily Apple policy. They may ask to hold onto the MBP until they get around to fixing it.

3. zachcheatham thread starter macrumors regular

zachcheatham

Okay, well maybe I'll call them up and ask first.