Broken Key - New macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stere0type, Oct 17, 2008.

1. stere0type macrumors newbie

Just recieved my new oct fourteenth macbook

I'm a long time pc user this is my first mac
    I was one of those in the backlight mixup

I recieved my macbook 2 hours ago, and just after about 30 mins of use I notice that my number four key is stuck, it cannot be pressed down. So off my mac has to go to be repaired at a local depot. I guess mine will be the first they get to tear apart and crack open, where I live is very small population so I'll assume it will be their first time I'm quite paranoid and verry annoyed with my first experience with apple

Just thought I'd share my issue with my keypad, dunno if anyone else has a similar problem

UPDATE:

I contacted apple care again. the cust service rep I was speaking with was very kind and a great help. He said if it were him that he would not have been as patient with the tech as myself and that if it were his choice he would request a doa# because I received a defective product. He then transferred me to the tech support and they are sending me the packing labels to return my macbook for a new replacement. I am a bit annoyed but at least its all resolved now.

2. KSpider macrumors regular

Dont let them repair it, they have to give you a new one if it is broken within 14 days...

3. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Yes, he deserves a new computer because the 4 key is stuck. :rolleyes:

4. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

dont get it repaired

you should be able to just exchange...it's brand fricken new ffs

5. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

6. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I've had a similar situation where a MacBook Pro I purchased a year ago had a crooked case and would not sit level. At first they wanted to send it in to have repaired. I was firm and told them I would not agree to that and I would like it to be replaced as I had just purchased it several days ago. They agreed and replaced it in the store.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

And people wonder why Americans are so resented for their throwaway culture.

8. OceanView macrumors 65816

That has nothing to do with a throwaway.
    He just wants a new machine.
    What's wrong with that?
    Apple will just replace the keyboard and sell it as a refurb. Nothing will be thrown away.

9. KSpider macrumors regular

Dead On Arrival (DOA) Product: System Failure Out of the Box
    An Apple-branded hardware product is considered DOA if it shows symptoms of a hardware failure, preventing basic operability, when you first use it after opening the box. If you believe that your product is DOA, please call AppleCare Technical Support at 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273) within 30 calendar days of the invoice date. AppleCare Technical Support will determine whether the product is DOA and offer you the following options:

Replacement: Apple, at its expense, will ship another of the same product . AppleCare Technical Support will put you in touch with an AppleStore Sales Support Representative who will arrange for replacement and the DOA product’s return.

Service: You may have the product repaired. However, once you choose that option, you may not request replacement of the product.

10. rd261 macrumors regular

I had my blackbook replaced 3 times before finding a "perfect" machine. In the first machine the wifi dropped continuously, the second one had a faulty keyboard, in the third one the wifi was completely dead and had 5 dead pixels cluttered in the center of the screen. The fourth one was perfect, and for having so many troubles, Apple gave me the wireless mighty mouse and keyboard for free. If you are not happy with your $1000+ purchase, then take it back and demand a new one until you are happy. After all, they don't advertise the macbook as a machine with a stuck number 4 key.

11. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

A stuck key does not constitute DOA.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

ummm If I bought a faulty product I would want it replaced. He's not throwing it in the trash. He should bring it in to Apple for an exchange, then Apple can fix it and sell it refurb.

Seriously get off your high horse.

13. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I hope I won't have any problems with my macbook.. My dad is already not very that happy I switched to apple.. I hope apple will make me proud (I paid for it so he has nothing to say but he thinks its a huge waste of money)

14. Purple Pelican macrumors member

Really? If you're buying a $1000+ machine, I do think it should/can be declared DOA. After all, as the consumer, you're paying for a computer that does all it's advertised to do...not for one that has something like a stuck key. Seriously, if they didn't catch something like that at QC, who knows what issues it'll have?

15. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Resenting American's is the popular thing these days. I wish some other country would take over offending the rest of the world. It must be how we impose our will and culture with our financial clout. I'm up for passing the torch to the UK. Whenever you guys decide to become significant once again let us know. Just remember you have to put your wallet where your mouth is. That's going to take a lot of pounds sterling, and at the rate the pound to dollar is falling you better get the Royal Mint working overtime. Cheers!

16. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

thanks for providing a pretty good example of why the world hates americans

17. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

First of all it's called tongue and cheek. Secondly, as someone who has traveled around the world I am very aware and respect other cultures. I have a healthy respect for all people regardless of where they are from. But sometimes it helps to counter questionable remarks with pithy comments. Sometimes it is good to twist the knife a little even though it may be over the top.

18. jigo macrumors newbie

The keyboard is hardware and I would think that not being able to type a 4 prevents basic operability. So according to apple it should be considered DOA.

19. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Can everyone shut up with the politics, and get back to the guys issue? Definitely take it in for a replacement, you paid for a FULLY FUNCTIONAL computer and that's what you should get. ;)

20. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I've been to London and I'm not sure why Americans get all the hate-ok I do know why-it's b/c 90% of generation Y are spoiled brats, BUT the customer service and friendliness of the Brits leaves a LOT left to be desired so I'm not sure that yall have too much more room to complain.

In America manners are free.

21. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

FAIL!

Just like your economy.

I love living in Europe, far far away from you impressionblle Americans.

Ahh...

PS, I bet you voted for George Bush

22. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

and would again....:p:p:p:p

23. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

:D

This is why I love MacRumors

24. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

this would fall under the lemon law, they have to replace it with a new, not repair.

25. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I second replacement. Not only will Apple gladly do it, but they want the OP to have a good experience and so it is to their benefit as well.

I also---whether rationally or not--tend to feel that once you open up a machine to repair it you're inviting more troubles. Actually, that's not entirely irrational given some of my experiences with flextronics, one of apple's contractors for mail-in repairs.

Bottom-line for your money you deserve a good out of the box experience, and I would bet you that Apple wants you to have one as well.