Broken Keyboard & Trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hiohokaybye, May 20, 2009.

1. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

So recently my keyboard and trackpad stopped working after a restart, none of the keys or the trackpad worked, however, the power button works for some strange reason. I haven't installed any software previous the restart, it's strange why this is happening.

It would be great if I could possibly fix this without heading to the Apple Store. Thanks for any advice.

2. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

I'm having some problem locating that ribbon, not so sure if it's the same for Macbook. I took out the battery, but I can only find a silver ribbon attached to the trackpad, tried moving that around, no response on the computer. Any suggestions?

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Do you still have it under warranty and even if you don't you might want to take it to a Genius Bar. They don't charge you anything to look at it, and if it is something simple, I would bet they would fix it for you right there for free.

4. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I found someone who had already been to the genius bar, save you a trip:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1993446&tstart=0

'I did go see a genius and here was my resolution:

Right next to the ram location is a small silver rectangular connector, this connects the keyboard and trackpad to the motherboard. When I replaced my ram, this must've gotten unseated from the connetor.

The Genius reseated that connector (reinstalled my ram upgrade) and all things are better once again. '

Not that going to the Apple store is an unpleasant experience lol :D
    I also saw that some people say that a couple of restarts fixed it for them!

5. hiohokaybye thread starter macrumors regular

I feel so terrible for saying this, I located the 'silver rectangle' after removing my battery, but I'm not so sure how exactly I would reseat it.

6. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I'm not to sure either, probably best to go see an apple genius, or give them a call! I've always found apple very good on customer service!

7. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

If I were you I would really get a mac genius to fix it unless you want to risk breaking a multi-thousand dollar piece of equipment. I was at the genius bar one time and they even replaced this guys hard drive when it failed and the computer was like two years out of warranty. http://www.apple.com/retail/ there is the link to find the nearest store and you can make an appointment online, its really easy.