Broken lap top screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Euphoria1985, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Euphoria1985 macrumors newbie

Hi, so I was doing the ironing and watching a movie on my macbook and when I was done and clearing stuff up the ironing board thing kinda folded in half and my laptop dropped to the floor with a loud thud (onto a wooden floorboard)

Basically the screen looks like when you break a glass window but it hasn't fallen apart, you just see loads of cracks at the point of impact...

I have an apple care thing, but will this be covered under the guarantee or something? The laptop is over 1 year old and otherwise any idea how much it will cost, etc?

Furthermore, will I be able to recover all my documents and stuff on it?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Accidents are not covered by Apple Care.

Maybe your own household insurance can help you with that though.

A laptop screen can be bought for around 120$ (http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-13-3-Inch-LCD-Panel/IF186-050) or more if it is another MacBook Pro.

Also to secure your data you can just take out the hard drive if you want, put it into an USB 2.5" HDD enclosure and connect it to another Mac.
    Also there is Target Disk Mode, which makes the Mac into an external HDD, which can then be connected via Firewire to another Mac.

3. steagle macrumors newbie

Ouch, sorry to hear about that! What exact model of MBP do you have? If it's an '08 Unibody or newer, get ready for an expensive replacement. The price through an Apple service provider is around $500 for the LCD. The $120 screen linked above is only for last generation MacBooks, and seeing as how you're in the MacBook Pro forum I expect that won't apply to you.

Unfortunately, there could be internal damage to the laptop as well, which may be revealed when your service people take it apart. A drop like that can do things like partially unseat memory chips, damage the hard drive, bend important parts on the logic board or cabling, and just in general mess up the components inside. I would definitely have them take off the top case (where the keyboard sits) to examine the inside for damage.

As for insurance - I would definitely check up on that as soon as you can. The terms can vary significantly between homeowner's and renter's insurance policies. In my case, when I dropped my MacBook Pro (resulting in $1,000 worth of damage) I was not covered by the contents insurance in my renter's policy because the loss was due to an accident; not to fire, water or theft. However, I have heard that in homeowner's insurance policies, contents coverage does extend to accidental loss. I'm no insurance expert, so definitely call up your insurance company and ask them.

Good luck! Let us know what happens...

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3