Broken Laptop Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stekra, Jun 17, 2012.

  1. stekra macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2012
    #1
    I was content with my 15" base model MacBook Pro. The only thing I would have liked is more graphical power 'cause I do 3D animation and really enjoy playing games and it sure was
    a pain to render all that stuff on this little guy.
    I said to myself that I would get myself the next Mac Pro which is said to come out sometime 2013.
    But just today my MBP stopped working, of course just after the warranty ended.
    So now I don't know what to do: I don't want to buy an old Mac Pro (I don't want to pay this much money for a 3 year old GPU…) and the iMacs are soon to be updated as well. The new MBPs look very nice, but I don't want to pay so much money for something I will sell in a year, and the low end ones probably wont play my games (and also my 3D animation I do) as well as I would like them too.

    Help.
     
  2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    #2
    Why not get your current MBP repaired and wait until 2013 for the Mac Pro update? As another option you could buy a replacement MBP legacy now and sell it when the new MacPros come out in 2013.

    BTW, what does "stopped working" mean?
     
  3. stekra thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2012
    #3
    Motherboard failure. Not sure how expensive it would be to fix that up.
    I also have this beautiful Thunderbolt Display that would just have to stand around if I were to choose a legacy Mac Pro…

    Decisions, decisions…
     
  4. LaWally macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    #4
    Just doing a quick check, about $1000.

    I meant a legacy MBP as an interim, not Mac Pro. You might want to consider a refurb for this. You can check out the prices in the online Apple Store. They have several available now for $1500-$1800. This would include the one year warranty, which will take you right up to the Mac Pro 2013 release ... hopefully.

    As you say, decisions, decisions ...
     
  5. eric/ Guest

    eric/

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2011
    Location:
    Ohio, United States
    #5
    Also, consider immediately going to the Apple store, asking them to help you b/c you don't know what's wrong, and under your breath, but audible, mention how of course it quit working after the warranty expired.

    Maybe they'll fix it for free

    :D
     
  6. stekra thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2012
    #6
    Thanks for the tips! And yeah, I guess I read that wrong. Sorry.
    Let's see if I get it for free ;) , but I guess also around 1000$ is okay for a fix.

    Thanks.
     

Share This Page